BA is in One Week, What Are the Chances of Something Fatal Happeneing to Me?

I want this so bad but am terrified.

Breast Enhancement

+1
Good question, basically the idea would be the equivalent risk of your plane going down the next time you get on a plane

Fear before surgery

+1

I believe it is normal to have some anxiety before any surgical procedure.  For a young healthy woman having a breast augmentation by a board certified plastic surgeon and an accredited facility with an appropriately credentialed anesthesia provider, the chance of problems should be low and the chance of a major problem should be very small.

Certainly communicate your concerns with you surgeon and if you have questions regard credentials now is the time to ask and be comfortable with your decision.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Fear before surgery

+1

It is quite common to be nervous before surgery.  If you are healthy and have medical clearance the risk of a fatality  is extremely rare.

Anxiety Before Breast Augmentation?

+1

Please know that some level of anxiety prior to surgery is normal and to be expected.

Assuming you are the typical healthy young lady interested in breast  augmentation, that you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist, the chances of “something fatal” happening is extremely small.

I would suggest that you communicate your concerns/questions with your plastic surgeon who will likely be able to alleviate much of your concern after explaining the specifics of these safety measures that will be taken during the time of your surgery.

Generally speaking, the more calm you are prior to surgery, the better your experience will be ( including the incidence of nausea etc.). I encourage my patients to use whatever relaxation techniques they prefer ( exercise, music, meditation...) prior to surgery to allow for their experience to be as  smooth  and stress-free as possible.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Mortality of breast augmentation

+1

The risk is with the anesthesia. General anesthesia carries a one in 20,000 risk of a fatality. IV sedation with tumescant local anesthesia has a risk of less than one in 40,000. Any Board Certifed Plastic Surgeon can do it either way safely. We surgeons have cosmetic surgeries done on ourselves without the slightest worry of fatality. Most nurses that work in the operating room with plastic surgeons have had cosmetic surgeries themselves without that kind of worry. All five of my clinic employees have asked for and received cosmetic surgeries (mostly breast implants) without trepidation. Put it out of your mind.  Focus on the beautiful new you to be.

Dr. Foster

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon