Im Having a Ba in Two Days and Im Scared? Risks?

I am in mostly good health. I have chronic migraine disorder and a touch of hypoglycemia but its not bad. I am just afraid I won't wake up. I had a appendectomy and everything was fine. 7 months before the appendectomy I had a c section and had to be put under because the epidural didn't work so they gave me painkillers. At some point during/after the c section I aspirated/swallowed my tongue and had to be intubated and developed pneumonia. What are the chances of this happening to me again?

Breast augmentation and anesthesia

+2

Usually breast augmentation is very safe under general anesthesia.  I thinkn being nervous prior to surgery is normal.

Im Having a BA in Two Days and Im Scared? Risks

+2

The risks of breast augmentation should have been discussed by your surgeon or his nurse.  The risks of anesthesia can be easily answered by your anesthetist. Overall, it is a very safe procedure.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia risks during breast augmentation

+2

Anesthesia risks are real during breast augmentation, and the key might be where you choose to have your procedure. Ask about certification of the office facility, with regular peer review of standards. An accreditation of safety by organizations such as AAAASFA shows that your surgeon takes your safety seriously.

Anesthesia risks with breast augmentation

+2

I thank you for your question and I believe it is an important one. In general, the chances of developing aspiration pneumonia after routine breast augmentation is exceedingly low.

Having said that, Cosmetic Surgery is real surgery and should not be taken lightly.  You should investigate and get the answers to three questions.  One, is your plastic surgeon board certified.  Two, is your anesthesiologist (the doctor putting you to sleep) board certified. And three, is the facility you are having surgery at a fully accredited facility. (AAASF) All of this information can be obtained online by you and you should do your homework before committing to the procedure.

If the answer is yes on all three, then you will most likely have a safe procedure.  If the answer is no, then you may need to find someone else who can meet the proper requirements.

Shankar Lakshman, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+2

Thank you for the question. Your anesthesia provider is a great source to answer this. In my experience, anesthesia problems following breast augmentation are rare. Good luck for your procedure. Dr Thomas Narsete  Austin, Tx

Thomas A. Narsete, MD (retired)

Scared Before Breast Augmentation?

+2

Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon and anesthesia provider carefully, it is  much more likely than not that you will do well with the planned procedure. Of course, your chosen physicians will be in the best position to answer your question specifically and/or provide meaningful reassurance.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure;  hopefully, you will be very pleased with the outcome.

Breast Augmentation and Risk of Aspiration

+2

In general, the risk of aspiration during breast augmentation with general anesthesia and endotracheal tube is minimal.  The anesthesiologist should be able to allay your fears.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA