BA and Full Anchor Lift. Is it Okay to Do Surgery While I'm On My Period?

I heard that you should not have surgery if you have your period. Is that true and if so why?

Breast Surgery Okay While Menstruating

+1

Cosmetic breast surgery can be performed at any point during your menstrual cycle and having your period will not affect the procedure or your final outcome.  It is advised to let your surgeon know if you are on your period as part of a complete medical history but otherwise it should not alter your ability to have surgery. 

BA / lift + your period

+1

While it's certainly frustrating to have to deal with your period at the same time as your surgery and recovery, there isn't any evidence to suggest that this puts you at an increased risk for problems, unless you have a significant amount of breast swelling with your cycle - which could make planning the lift a little more tricky.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Surgery and menstruation.

+1

Being on your period will not affect your surgery unless you typically having significant breast swelling at this time. Many women confuse this with imaging of the breasts and their period (which does affect the ability to detect tumors).

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery and periods

+1

Absolutely O.K., but not if you happen to be pregnant. your surgeon must give you a pregnancy test before surgery.

Edward O. Terino, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and period

+1

Having your menstrual cycle is not a contraindications to undergo surgery.  It is quite common during this stressful time for patients to have their period.

Breast surgery during Menstrual Cycle

+1

This is a common question.   Having your period will not interfere with your surgery.  Sometimes just the stress of surgery will cause you to menstruate.  

Breast surgery during menses

+1

This is a very common question.  Menstruation should not interfere with the ability to undergo surgery.  If your breast size changes significantly prior to the onset of your period, then this is something to discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Surgery During Menstrual Cycle

+1

There should not be an issue with you being on your cycle during the time of surgery. If your breasts change dramatically with your period, you should discuss that with your doctor. Typically, breasts don't change enough to interfere with surgery. Good luck with your procedure!

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Breast Surgery during Menstrual Period?

+1

Generally speaking, having surgery during your menstrual period should not be a problem. If you have specific concerns (for example regarding significant fluctuation of breast size during your menstrual period)  address them with your plastic surgeon.