Infection and Removal. Should I Have Another Breast Augmentation?

i had a BA 8 months ago, after a month my right breast became very swollen, i had two lots of antibiotics which did not help so the implants were removed. i went back 6 months later for a repeat BA but my right breast bleed lots when they tried to put it in so they decided not to do the implant, again i have no implants, only scars. My doctor thinks i may have had an underlying infection causing the breast not to heal properly. should i try again in 6 months after taking more antibiotics ? ?

Re-Implantation After Breast Infection

+2

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

• The guideline is to leave the breast implants a minimum of 3 months after the breast is completely healed and without sign of infection, off antibiotic therapy.  This gives the tissues a chance to thoroughly "sterilize" itself, before replacing the implants.
  • What you describe does sound a bit more complicated, with a second surgery that sounds as if there was a bleeding problem.
  • Discuss with your surgeon his/her recommendation for replacing the implants, what seemed to be the cause of the bleeding problem,  and how the bleeding problem can be avoided, next time.
  • Because you've had these difficulties, you might tell your surgeon you'd like to get a second opinion. Bring your records or have them sent to the second opinion doctor.

It's reasonable to do all you can to be sure the next procedure is done under optimal circumstances, minimizing the potential for another problem.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Another attempt at breast augmentation after previous bleeding and infection complications

+1

You may want to consult with an infectius disese expert to make sure you are not a carrier. Furthermore you may need to undergo a hemophilia evaluation if bleeding was that serious. Other than these very rare or unuusal conditions, you could likely undergo another breast augmentation procedure.

Breast Implant Replacement Due to Infection

+1

I would advise that yes you should be able to try the procedure again after waiting the full 6 months. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast augmentation works.

+1

Hi.

The history you give does not really make sense.  A previous infection does not cause excess bleeding later. I would get another opinion. But I see no reason why you should not have another attempt at breast augmentation in a few months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Implant problems

+1

Usually by 6 months you are good to go to have them replaced. This should be enough time for the pockets to heal.

Breast Implant Infection and Replacement

+1

I usually recommend waiting 6 months after infection for replacement but 3 months should be adequate. The key is to wait until the tissues are soft and inflammation has subsided. In your case I would recommend a workup by a hematologist for the bleeding and then to seek a plastic surgeon with experience in these type of difficult revisions.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon