Can Having a B/R Help in Losing Weight?

I am 3 weeks post op after B/R and uplift. I seem to have lost weight without really trying that hard. I have been a little careful with my diet but I was careful before the surgery. I have not been able to do any exercise yet and I am looking to starting. Is it possible that by getting rid of all that fat in my boobs has made it easier to lose weight? I have read that fat cells scream out to be fed; perhaps by getting rid of these it makes the weight loss process easier?

Breast Reduction and Weight Loss?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on having had your breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

There is no evidence that breast reduction surgery directly leads to ongoing weight loss. Hopefully, you will find that certain exercises  will be easier to perform  after the breast reduction surgery and contribute to your weight loss.  This increased exercise ability along with a healthy diet  may jumpstart your weight loss program and improved healthy lifestyle in general.

Weight loss after breast reduction

+1

It is unclear why you have lost weight. Perhaps it is from a lower intake of food?  Most breast reductions do not remove more than a few pounds total.

Breast reduction will help you move easier

+1

Although not every patient loses weight after a breast reduction, the combination of increased mobility and improved body image have produced many "miracles" . In  several cases after significant weight loss they returned for an evaluation for a breas augmentation!

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

BR will not lead to wt loss on its own

+1

i believe that having a BR will make it much easier for you to move around and exercise. also having a BR will make you look smaller up top. if you feel more fit, you will act more fit

good luck.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and weight loss

+1

Very often, patients that are having breast reduction surgery are overweight.  I find that most of these women are overweight because of the increased difficulty in being able to exercise effectively, because of the large size of their breasts.  Most breast reduction patient's lose weight for two reasons.  First of all, there is a direct weight reduction from the actual removal of large amounts of breast tissue during the reduction surgery.  Secondly, once these patients have recovered adequately to start exercising, there actually able to exercise more effectively and therefore burn more calories. There may be other factors, but weight loss after a breast reduction is not unusual. 

Michael A. Epstein, MD

Breast reduction and weight loss

+1

There is a slight correlation in my experience but what you are describing is probably more psychological than anything else. Enjoy the weight-loss and keep it going.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon