Can You Sleep on Your Stomach with Breast Implants?

Is there any side effects from sleeping on your stomach with implants?

Sleeping on your stomach with implants

+1
Please listen to your surgeon but you should probably wait until after your initial recovery before sleeping on your front. After your surgeon gives you the okay, it should be fine to sleep on your stomach with implants. You won't be injured or cause damage to your implants by doing so.

Sleeping on your stomach after breast augmentation

+1

I agree that it is fine to sleep on your stomach about 4-6 weeks after your surgery. If you do so before, you might influence the positioning of the implant as the capsule is maturing.  

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after breast implants

+1

I recommend six weeks of wearing a sports bra at night.  I think this helps stabilize the implants and prevent unwanted displacement of the implants while sleeping. I have a concern that lying on the stomach prior to six weeks may change the shape of the pocket for the implants. 

After six weeks, anything goes!

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position post aug

+1

I discontinue wearing bra at nite at 3 weeks post aug, if the patient is comfortable doing so. I allow patients to sleep on their abdomen at 6 weeks post op. I think that actually helps the result making the breasts softer.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Any side effects if you sleep in the stomach position with implants?

+1

Once you have healed and your capsules are stable, usually around 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, you can start experimenting with different positions for sleep as you feel comfortable.  Prior to that, it is best if you refrain from sleeping on your stomach and continue to sleep on your back or your sides.  I also have my patients wear their postoperative bra during sleep for the first 4 to 6 weeks as well.  It may still feel uncomfortable or unnatural for you to sleep on your stomach even at this point, but at least you can begin to try.  The main reason for this precaution in my practice, in addition to purely comfort and the common sense avoidance of discomfort from something obvious like putting pressure on healing tissues, is to allow the implant capsules the chance to form naturally without any undue stresses from irregular or uneven directions which could potentially change the shape or position of the breasts.  While there may be no evidence that this matters, it makes sense intuitively, and for something this simple and really risk-free to adhere to, I don't see any reason to tempt fate.  The reality is that most girls who are habitual stomach sleepers will still probably find themselves on their tummies from time to time during the night, and I don't think that the occasional short time in this position is cause for alarm.  However, being mindful of avoiding that position will help them limit this, and it is worth it in my opinion and probably helps limit the overall effect that that has.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Okay to sleep on your stomach after breast implants heal

+1

After you are healed, there seems to be no reason to avoid sleeping on your stomach.  I ask my patients to wait six weeks before doing so.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Stomach sleeping after implants

+1

Yes, you certainly can!  I think it's best the first 3 months after augmentation to avoid stomach sleeping, but after that it's no problem.  I think it's good to allow the skin and muscle to heal first.

Elizabeth R. Blakemore, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on stomach with breast implants

+1

I know of no specific studies implying that sleeping on one's stomach will be detrimental for breast implants.

Long term affects of sleeping on stomach affect implants long term?

+1

After searching the literature I found no truly scientific evidence to refute or establish a definitive answer. Thus any advice is based on surgeons expirence, bias, or antecdotal reports. Most surgeons would agree that for the first several months not to sleep with pressure directly over the implants, until the capsule has matured thus preventing lateral ( outward displacement). After several months and maturation of the capsule, in my opinion it probably doesn't significantly cause implant migration. We all toss and turn at night and probably only stay in the exact sleeping position minutes not hours at a time.

Again this is my opinion and I would advise use a sleeping bra and recommend you  assume the best position you can to get the best nights rest!

Robert A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Riverside Plastic Surgeon

Should you sleep on your stomach after breast implants?

+1

I discourage my patients from sleeping on their stomach after breast implants as I have seen after fifteen years in practice that one of the main reasons for secondary surgeries is laterally displaced implants, which could be encouraged by sleeping on your stomach.  I also encourage patients to sleep in a sports bra after breast surgery.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD