Artefill Skin Test?

I went to a physician's office inquiring about Artefill. I had done my research and knew that a skin test is done 4 weeks prior to product use. However, the "filler consultant" said that she would know if I had an allergy in about 20 seconds. After waiting a couple minutes she said my test wasn't reactive. I had an Artefill skin test in the past at another office and knew I would not react. My concern is for those who do not wait the recommended 4 weeks. What's your opinion on this practice?

Artefill Skin Test

+1
You should definitely wait the full 4 weeks for a reaction from the Artefill skin test. The average time for an allergic reaction can be 1-4 weeks, so it is best to wait the full 4 weeks.

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Artefill skin test timing

+1

It is important to wait at least 4 weeks after skin testing before administering Artefill injections.  Most who are sensitive will react with in the first week, but some take longer to mount a reaction.  Very rarely, a person can react on the second exposure, even with a negative skin test (first exposure)

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Artefill skin test

+1

The Artefill skin test should definitely be watched for four weeks.  There sometimes can be a delay in the reaction in case of an allergy.  Waiting a shorter period of time is just not good medical practice.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artefill skin test

+1

Artefill skin test does need to be planted at least four weeks prior to having the injection. While immediate hypersensitivity can be seen quickly, there is also a delayed hypersensitivity response that needs monitoring before having the product injected. While it is very rare to have a reaction, it's unwise to skip this step. You are best to find another practitioner that has your best interests and safety as a priority.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS