Artefill Skin Test?

I went to a physician's office inquiring about Artefill. I had done my research and knew that a skin test is done 4 weeks prior to product use. However, the "filler consultant" said that she would know if I had an allergy in about 20 seconds. After waiting a couple minutes she said my test wasn't reactive. I had an Artefill skin test in the past at another office and knew I would not react. My concern is for those who do not wait the recommended 4 weeks. What's your opinion on this practice?

Artefill Skin Test

You should definitely wait the full 4 weeks for a reaction from the Artefill skin test. The average time for an allergic reaction can be 1-4 weeks, so it is best to wait the full 4 weeks.

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

3109 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Artefill skin test timing

It is important to wait at least 4 weeks after skin testing before administering Artefill injections.  Most who are sensitive will react with in the first week, but some take longer to mount a reaction.  Very rarely, a person can react on the second exposure, even with a negative skin test (first exposure)

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

9850 Genesee Ave.
La Jolla, CA 92037

Artefill skin test

The Artefill skin test should definitely be watched for four weeks.  There sometimes can be a delay in the reaction in case of an allergy.  Waiting a shorter period of time is just not good medical practice.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

500 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

Artefill skin test

Artefill skin test does need to be planted at least four weeks prior to having the injection. While immediate hypersensitivity can be seen quickly, there is also a delayed hypersensitivity response that needs monitoring before having the product injected. While it is very rare to have a reaction, it's unwise to skip this step. You are best to find another practitioner that has your best interests and safety as a priority.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

560 Northern Blvd.
Great Neck, NY 11021