Can This Axillary Skin Be Removed? (photo)

I'm 5'1, 104 lbs and 31 years old and have hypothyroidism. A few years ago I only weighed 93 lbs and I never noticed any extra skin, yet when I gained ten pounds it suddenly became very visible in the axillary breast area. It is somewhat visible on the leftside but only forms a V type crease on the right side, as it is much more pronounced. I'm still very thin at 104 lbs so I don't attempt to loose weight. Needless to say,I am always trying to disguise it and it makes me uncomfortable.

Removal of Axillary Tissue

+2

Thank you for the question pictures.

Removal of the tissue in this area ( usually consisting of breast tissue) will likely involve excision of excess skin and underlying breast tissue. Because of the nature of the tissue liposuction will not necessarily be effective. If skin is not removed with a tissue redundant skin may be present after surgery.

The downside of the surgery,  which you should seriously consider, will be the presence of a scar.  The upside may be the improvement in contour.

Please make sure your consulting with  well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Pre axillary skin

+1

If youa re bothere by skin in the pre-axillary region the only way to get rid of it is by excising it. This will leave a scar.

Excess preaxillary tissue

+1

Many women are troubled by excess tissue in the preaxillary region.  If there is minimal skin excess, but excess fat is present, liposuction is the best option.  If there is only skin excess, a direct excision can be performed, but a troubling scar may result.  The best option for you should be determined by a board certified plastic surgeon in your region.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Axillary breast tissue

+1

From the looks of your photos, I think that liposuction would likely improve this area a lot.  I sometimes do a little lipo to this area when I am doing a breast augmentation or breast lift.  The area can be swollen and firm for several weeks after the lipo but the end result is usually quite good.  Your skin tone looks good and in my opinion, you likely wouldn't need an excision.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD