Is Axillary Breast Tissue Removal Covered by OHIP? (photo)

I'm a 25 year old with breast tissue in my armpits. During a yearly physical and breast exam, my family doctor palpated my armpits and determined it to be breast tissue. That was a few years ago and I was less bothered by them at that point. Now they are fluctuating in size with my menstrual cycle and are uncomfortable. Not only do they make me feel self-conscious with tank tops etc., but they are sore and annoying as they seem to always get in the way.

Is Axillary Breast Tissue Removal Covered by OHIP?

+1

Only a written letter of predetermination of surgical benefits will answer your question. Have an in plan PS write one to the health insurance carrier. 

+1

Your problem is a normal anatomic variant and removing it is considered cosmetic surgery as opposed to surgery necessary for good health. Insurance does not cover the procedure.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Insurance companies do not generally cover axillary breast tissue removal

+1

Axillary breast tissue is actually normal.  Of course when there is too much of it it creates a contour irregularity that is not desirable.  Axillary breast tissue can be removed directly via excision or via ultrasound liposuction.  Often direct excision offers more complete correction and often quicker recovery.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD