Originally Had Axillary Incision Under Armpit, Can Implants Be Removed Through The Breast?

Hello Doctors I have a question? I had gel silicon breast implants put in 26yrs ago under the armpit behind the muscle I want to take them out can I have them remover under the breast instead of the armpit? don't want to have the armpit muscles cut again I opt for under the breast removal is this possible? Thank you Doctors for your time...

Axillary breast augmentation revision

+2

You can have an incision in the fold under your breast to remove implants placed through an incision in the underarm. That would be easier than going through the old incision. Be sure to meet with a Board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss this procedure, as well as complementary procedures that might be worth considering at the same time. With implants in place for 26 years, you may want to consider another implant, possibly of different size, or a lift. Good luck!

Yes, in fact other incision preferable...

+2

Not only is it possible to get the implants removed through another incision, it is actually better. The incision around the nipple or under the breast will allow better visualization of the pocket and implant and will allow for better cleaning of the pocket if the implants have leaked. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Removal of 26-year-old Silicone Breast Implants?

+2

Yes,  I would suggest that you have the breast implants removed through an incision on or under the breast as opposed  to the trans axillary approach.  An incision on the breast  will allow your plastic surgeon to evaluate the breast implant pocket carefully,  remove any free silicone material that may have  leaked,  and removed breast implant capsule if indicated.

Whether or not you choose to have breast implants replaced is a very personal decision and will depend mainly on your goals.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person will be helpful. 

Breast implant removal

+1

Having the breast implants removed 26 years after your previous sugery can be taken out through the inframammary approach.

Best Incisions for Removing Leaking Silicone Breast Implants

+1

A 26 year old leaking gel implant is best removed by separating the scar around the implant from adjacent tissues and removing the leaking implant and sticky silicone gel inside along with it. Sch a prccedure is impossible through an arm pit (transaxillary) incision and s best done via a below the breast or nipple complex (periareolar) incision. The periareolar incision not only gives the best access to the implant and capsule, it allows unmatched versatility in making the pocket smaller for smaller implants as well as incorporating the scar in a breast lift scar should it be needed.