I Have Awful Legs. What Kind of Lipo Would You Recommend? (photo)

I'm 5ft 9 and 155 lbs, so within the 'normal' range for my height. However, as you can see from my pictures my hips and thighs are very disproportionate. I take 3 different dress sizes in my lower body: an 6 on my waist (29 inches) an 8 on my hips (41inches) and a 12 on my thighs (23-24 inches). Where should I have lipo? Just on my saddlebags, or on my hips and inner thighs too? how about my knees? Do I need a lot taken out? I think I do (maybe over 3litres) - but then I'm not a surgeon! thanks

Liposuction on Thighs

+2

Liposuction can be performed on your thighs and other areas of concern.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tumescent liposuction is very safe and effective.

+2

Hi.

1)  First of all, your legs are not awful.  Your lower body is just not the same as your upper body, and this is very common in women, and not helped by diet or exercise.

2)  From your pictures, you are an excellent candidate for circumferential (outer, inner, front, and a little in the back) liposuction of the thighs, as well as liposuction of the love handles (flanks) and knees.  You look like the type of patient that gets a dramatic result.

3)  The aspirated volume will probably under 3 litres, but not by much.

4)  Tumescent liposuction has by far the best record of effectiveness and safety.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

What Type Of Liposuction Should I Have On My Thighs?

+2

Dear SallyAnn, 

There are two parts to your question that I would like to address.  First, is what areas should you consider treating.  While photos are helpful, with liposuction of the thighs it is very important to actually examine the thighs.  By feeling the soft tissues, the plastic surgeon can determine how much of the fullness in each area is due to fat and how much is due to muscle.  There are simply some women who have very muscular thighs and no matter how much liposuction you perform, they will never have small thighs.  Only an examination can determine this issue.

Second, at to which liposuction technology would best to use, really the more important issue is which surgeon you use.  Liposuction technologies are like different tools to a sculptor.  A skilled sculptor can achieve a great result with any number of different tools.  Choose your plastic surgeon by the quality of their results that you can view from their before and after photos, not by the technology they use.  Do your homework before your surgery and meet with a number of board certified plastic surgeons before proceeding.  Hope this helps and best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

I Have Awful Legs. What Kind of Lipo Would You Recommend?

+2

Thanks for trying to post photos, but the exposure with the flash makes it virtually impossible to see the areas. Best is in person evaluations to be examined. But my guess is you are a great candidate for any type of liposuction. I prefer the Smart Lipo Triplex + lipo under sedation+local or general +lipo. removing 3+liters. I like giving my patients comfort vs local only is quite uncomfortable for these larger volumes. Good luck. 

Liposuction for thighs

+2

thigh and so-called saddle bags can add a size or two to your actual size. doing liposuction on these areas can give u  a body that might be a bit more proportionate. with that said, its all in the hands of the surgeon and how they do the procedure. I prefer to do circumferential thigh contouring under local (Tumescent) anesthesia its a procedure if done with extreme caution can be very gratifying. chose your doctor wisely

Misbah Khan, MD

What liposuction is best for the thighs?

+2

There are many different types of liposuction, however the questions any patient should be asking is who should be doing my lipo, not which machine I should use.  All machines claim to be the best (well... their manufacturers claim they are the best) but there is no scientific evidence yet that I am aware off (aside from media hype) that any one particular lipo machine is superior to the others.  What is for sure is that a skilled plastic surgeon who performs a lot of liposuction procedures (rather that somebody who doesn't perform liposuction often and is not a board certified plastic surgeon) is what you should be looking for.  

When visiting a clinic you should meet the surgeon who will perform your procedure, not a clinic representative.  The surgeon should be board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (there are many certifications and boards that do not require any proof of qualification, such as Am Board of Laser Surgery or Int Board of Liposuction Surgery etc which all frankly just diplomas you buy by paying membership dues).  Next you should ask your surgeon to show you before and after pictures and very clearly explain to you the procedure and what is involved, and what your recovery will be like.  This will allow you to make an informed decision on how to proceed.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Liposuction for the Legs

+2

Hello. All forms of liposuction are viable for use on the legs except laser liposuction. Both power assisted and surgeon assisted techniques are gentle enough to deliver positive results without damaging the skin. The most important thing is that you find a board certified plastic surgeon to perform the procedure.

Jaime Perez, MD
Liposuction Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

What Kind of Lipo Do I Need?

+2

In answer to your question, the best question to ask is which doctor will I choose rather than the type of Liposuction you should look for. Well done liposuction, no matter which technology it is should give you great results. However, if you focus on searching for a doctor because they offer a certain technology you will not be happy. The most important criteria is finding a doctor who is skilled and specialized in liposuction.

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction

+2

Your posted photo look like you could benefit from liposuction of the saddle bags and lower inner thigh just above the knees. These areas are also currently asymmetric with more fat on the left than the right. You could have some fat removed in the inner upper thigh area but that should be done conservatively to avoid leaving you with hanging skin and an aged look that is not repairable. You might benefit from some liposuction on the front of the thigh but that area can be potentially more problematic than the inner upper thigh area.

It is impossible to tell just from your photos exactly how much fat would be removed in terms of liters. You might consider having some of the fat injected into the buttock area to improve the contour on side view.

As to what type of liposuction (laser, ultrasound, power etc assisted) the answer is it does not matter so much because the surgeon who does it is more important than the exact modality employed.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Liposuction of thighs

+2

Based on your pictures and description you appear to be a very good candidate for laser liposuction of your inner, outer, anterior (front) thighs and knees. Also it's difficult to Se but you may have some cellulite that can additionally be treated with Cellulaze. Best of luck. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS