Could I Get Away with a Breast Lift or Do I Need Implants? (photo)

I really don't mind being small, but I don't like the sag. What result would I get if I just had a breast lift? If I had breast implants would it offer much of a lift? Thank you!

Could I Get Away with a Breast Lift or Do I Need Implants?

+3

Though your posted some good photos ONLY an in person examination will allow a better or more accurate response. You to me are on the border line for implant alone or with a donut lift. Seek in person consults from boarded PSSs in your area. 

Breast lift or breast lift + implants

+2

123Kiki: If you are relatively content with your cup size but don't like the "sag", I would encourage you to consult a PS to discuss a short scar mastopexy (breast lift).  Judging from the lateral or outward "lie" (position) of the nipples and subtle volume imbalance, a "lollipop" lift, tightening skin and moving the nipple areolar complex upwards and in towards the breast bone might very well accomplish your objective of improving the "sag".  Two caveats: 1) Be aware that, like anything in cosmetic surgery, the results will change with age, subsequent pregnancies, weight gain/loss.  2) If you really want upper pole (area between the collar bone and nipples) fullness, a small implant would be beneficial.  Be candid with your consultant, your input is critical! good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast Lift vs Implants

+2

It is understandable why you would have trouble deciding whether an implant or a lift is best for your breasts. You are what I call a 'tweaner', meaning that you could go either way based on your degree of breast sagging alone. However, the critical determinant is what you want the final result to be. Breast implants don't cause much of a lift as they add volume and will make the breast more full. Breast lifts don't give volume but create scars for the trade-off of a more uplifted breast...an aesthetic liability in its own right. There is also the combined approach of a small implant with a superior nipple lift, capturing some of the benefits of both approaches but without the more visible scar disadvantages.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

A little more explanation about goal would be helpful.  I am not sure of your definition of "sag."  Although there is only one frontal photo, nipple position actually looks pretty normal, and what I am seeing may be deflation from volume loss. Of course I am guessing with limited info. 

In that setting, an implant may be a better approach to fulfill your objectives. At any rate, this won't be resolved online without an actual exam, and some give and take with a surgeon. Many options including implants alone, lift alone, or a combination need to be discussed. 

All the best. 

Breast lift or breast lift with implants

+1

You are border line between whether you will benefit from a breast lift in conjunction with an implant or a breast lift alone. Most likely you will benefit with a small implant along with the lift. However, the best recommendation is to consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to get a physical examination and to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation with implants vs. breast lift

+1

The key to deciding issues like this is in understanding what breast augmentation with implants does and doesn't do and what breast lifts (mastopexy) does and doesn't do. They are two different operations that do different things. 

You are not "small". You're breasts look average size and a true lift will do what a bra does and make them look bigger. An augmentation may or may not be feasible depending on where your inframammary crease falls (hidden in the picture) in relation to the nipple-areola, but the minimum size increase with a properly fitted low profile implant is about one cup size. 

Breast implants are pillows and only provide size/volume, forward projection, and fill for areas that need it such as the upper pole. They do not lift the breast but can give the illusion of a lift by filling out the lower pole of the breast.

A properly done breast lift is independent of the incision choices but the most common type requires an incision around the areola and down to the inframammary crease -- a lollipop incision. Lifts reposition the breast and can reshape them to a degree but they do not provide volume, forward projection, or upper pole fill. 

The important thing is to decide what result is desired, which procedure does that, and be realistic about the procedure and it's risks and tradeoffs. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

If you undergo a breast lift without implants, I think it will make your breasts look even smaller and they won't have a very nice shape.  Youncould probably get away with a small implant alone, but the ideal procedure for you would be to have a vertical lift along with a small implant.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Lifting Needed?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of your goals several generalizations can be made. Generally speaking, it is not wise to expect much (if any) breast lifting from breast augmentation alone. Also when patients present with a concern about “sagging” they are generally better off undergoing breast lifting surgery.

I would suggest in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation.

Breast Lift or Implants or Both?

+1

Based on this photo alone, you would definitely benefit from a breast augmentation.  You lack upper pole fullness that only an implant can create. You appear to have no sagging of your breasts so that a mastopexy (breast lift) does not appear necessary.  A consultation with a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and experienced in aesthetic breast enhancement procedures is definitely needed to determine the best surgical approach to achieve you desired breast enhancement goals.  Best of luck to you. 

L. Dwight Baker, MD
Dothan Plastic Surgeon

Implants or lift?

+1

There are three things that women complain of generally when they say that they need a lift.  One is that they have no upper pole fullness.  The only thing that can help that is an implant.  The second thing women complain of is nipples pointing at the floor (the distance from the sternal notch to the nipple should be about 21 cm), and the only way to help this is to do a lift to the nipple, with the scars to the breast.  The last thing that women don't like is "bottoming out" of the breast tissue at six o'clock.  This would mean removal of some of the tissue that is pulling on the breast.  Many times in my practice, I find that putting an implant in gives a women fullness up in the upper pole, and gives some upward movement to the breast.  But there is no question that you should talk to your board certified Plastic Surgeon to prioritize your needs and wishes. Good luck.

Dan Mills, MD