Will I Have Drains After Breast Reduction Surgery?

I Am Awaiting Approval from my Insurance for a Breast Reduction, My Plastic Surgeon Said I Wouldn't Have Drains. is This True ?

Drains are not required with breast reduction.

I personally do not use drains with breast reduction. Some surgeons choose to do so and I would not fault them for it. Nevertheless, I don't use drains and see no reason to.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Drains after Breast Reduction Surgery?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

You will find that the use of drains after breast reduction surgery will vary from one plastic surgeon to another and sometimes from one patient to another.

Choose your plastic surgeon carefully;  this decision will be far more important than whether or not drains will be used.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Breast reduction

Drains are the decision of your surgeon. Some surgeons do not use drains. I still use drains on reductions, as do most of the surgeons I know.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

1708 Laurel Street
Columbia, SC 29201

Drains and breast reduction

Some surgeons use drains and others do not.  It really is surgeon and technique dependent.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Drains generally not needed in breast reduction

Congrats on being in the preauthorization process for BR.  Like your PS, I don't routinely use drains in this procedure but always reserve the right to do so, if excessive bleeding occurs.  Drains are not a substitute for the surgeon cauterizing any bleeding points and instructing the patient on preop consumption of anti-platelet drugs, aspirin, NSAIDs, which can cause excessive bleeding, post-op activity restriction and the use of appropriately supportive garments, regular follow-up appointments.  Patients are intimidated about having to take care of drains, dislike the tenderness at the exit site and fear removal.  The outcome of your BR will not be compromised by the elimination of drains and your recovery will be vastly more comfortable!

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

1401 Avocado Ave
Newport Beach, CA 92660