Is it safe to take a low dose of Isotretinoin (Accutane) for a year?

I've been battling with hormonal cystic acne for years. I was prescribed accutane 6 yrs ago but the acne came back. My derm has put me on a low dose (40mg) once daily, but wants me to do the treatment for an entire year with no breaks. Seems like this time around the side effects have been more severe for me. Im worried that doing this for a year could cause long term effects. I wanted to know if anyone out there has any experience with taking isotretinoin for longer than the recommended time?

Accutane dosing

+1
Accutane regimens are not specific to time, but rather to total mg dosing. When you take lower daily doses you have to be on it longer to get to the total cumulative dosage needed which is usually between 8000-16000mg total mg. So, if you are taking 40mg, then yes, you will need to be on it about a year to be within that cumulative dosing.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."