How Can I Avoid Wrinkles Until After 40? I Am 26 Now.

I have very good skin for my age. I am very careful with sunscreen (spf 70+ with zinc because I'm allergic to regular sunscreen) and I try to wear hats and sunglasses. I do have a lot of freckles but I don't burn because I'm half Italian (southern). ANYWAY, I know that preventative Botox is big and so is retin A, but before I invest all this money over a long period of time, I want to know if it will really make a difference. Can you REALLY look 26 at 36 or is it all a scam?

Botox to Avoid Wrinkles Best Wrinkle Removal Techniques

+1

Thank you for your question.  Early intervention with Botox can help prevent certain facial wrinkles from becoming permanent.

Specifically Botox relaxes the muscles of facial expression that cause crows feet, frown lines, and worry lines on the forehead.  These are called dynamic lines and will become permanent over many years if not treated with Botox when they first appear.

However static lines or wrinkles which occur over the rest of the face are caused by skin aging and most importantly the ultraviolet arrays of the sun. Sunblock, sun protection and topical Retin-A as well as frequent micro-dermabrasions can all help prevent static line or static wrinkle formation.

The money you spend now on prevention using medical grade topical skin creams, Botox injections, and professional skin care at a physician's office will save you money in the long run in my opinion.

You can look youger than your age if...

+1

you inherit good genes, don't smoke cigarettes, avoid the sun, are blessed with good health and eat a fairly healthy diet...sunscreen is less important than most people believe...but long sleeves, a hat and sunglasses are ideal...a simple moisturizer may be helpful depending where you live...tretinoin can keep the skin more youthful and retard some of the consequences of chronological aging and botox can keep the skin unlined and with minimal wrinkles...think a lot of money is spent/wasted on expensive topical preparations without good reason...

Ken Landow, MD

Maintaining a Youthful Appearance after 40

+1

All very good and interesting feedback from panel members.

We are big believers in daily use of sunscreen.  Avoiding smoking and using a simple, cost-effective skin care regimen are things that any person, at any age, and with any budget can maintain.

After age 40, many of our female patients have already recognized the benefits from cosmetic injection treatments as well as medical lasers that stimulate collagen as well as resolve pigmentation concerns.

Starting early with good skin care habits will always serve one well.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Photorejuvenation with Retin A and Botox

+1

Certainly, long term use of Rein-A and sunscreen can reverse the hands of time significantly.  Botox does not have to be done before the lines develop. If you start the treatment as soon as you see the lines forming, then you can get good improvement.  Topical antioxidants may help, but making sure you are very compliant about sunscreen use and avoiding smoking is extremely important. Fraxel Dual laser rejuvenation can help reverse the sundamage with one or two treatments in many individuals.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Wrinkle prevention

+1

It sounds like you have been blessed with good genes and good habits.  Sunscreen is the foundation of wrinkle prevention as is not smoking.  Botox is great, when used correctly, but it does not address all causes of aging. Botox works for wrinkles caused by facial motion (most commonly forehead lines, line between the eyebrows, and crows feet).  Everyone uses his or her facial muscle differently and depending on genes, skin elasticity and habits will have more or less need for Botox.  Some people notice volume loss in the face more, resulting in the cheeks dropping and folds around the mouth.  These people may need fillers.  You should get a consultation with a board-certified dermatoloigst.   If you are interested in the condition of your skin, compared to other people your age, you may want to consider a Beau Visage consult with a dermatologist.  With this device you will get information about the underlying health of the skin and get some direction as to which preventive treatments you should consider.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Delaying wrinkles

+1

Wrinkles can be delayed in a variety of ways: use sunscreen!, avoid smoking & minimize alcohol, have good genes, use antiaging products that have retinol or tretinoin, vitamin C, glycolic acid, matrixyl and/or coffeyberry extract, have a good dermatologist, never go to a tanning salon or get a sunburn or windburn, get preventative Botox, wear sunglasses, get the occasional facial and/or chemical peel, get enough sleep and fluids and exercise, de-stress....its that easy! ;)

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Forehead Wrinkles - How to look 26 at 36!

+1

The best way to maintain a youthful, natural and health look is to avoid the sun, keep well hydrated, use sunscreen daily with a zinc or titatinium dioxide in the base.  It is also important you do not smoke.  The rest is up to your heredity. 

Ultherapy which treats skin laxity and stiumlates collagen production is also an excellent way to maintain a youthful appearance once skin sag or wrinkles become visible.  Other viable options alone or in conjunction with Ultherapy are Botox injections ((which prevent muscle contraction) and injectable fillers.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Avoid sun exposure, moisturise your skin and eat a sensible, healthy diet.  That's the best that you can do.  The rest will be based on the genes you inherited.

The best way to avoid wrinkles until after age 40 is by choosing your parents wisely.

+1

Genetics plays such a big factor in aging. Environmental things are important also but you can keep your skin looking great by getting yearly chemical peels, using moisturizers and spf sunscreens and retin A type creams as well as botox periodically.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

How to Prevent Facial Wrinkles

+1

To begin with there is no magic pill or injectable that can lock in the beauty of youth.  In my opinion the best treatment for wrinkles and other skin changes is prevention.  I would like to compliment your use of sunscreen and sun avoidance.  Overexposure to the sun is the number one cause of premature aging and your devotion to protecting your skin will pay dividends later in life. 

In addition to prevention, there are certainly medications, injectables and surgeries that can improve appearance and in many ways turn back the clock.  The best time to start treating with Botox is before permanent creases have formed in the skin.  Retin-A is a medicine that will also help the skin retain luster and brilliance.

I do not think any of the physicians on this forum believe that the treatments we offer to be scams.  Making bold statements like “looking 10 years younger” may set unrealistic expectations, but that does not mean the treatments you asked about do not work.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon