Can One Avoid a Vertical Scar in a Breast Augmentation?

I'm interested in Breast Augmentation to replace lost volume after breast feeding. I was told that I need a Mastopexy with anchor scar to achieve a good shape.

However, I'm not concerned with the current droopiness or nipple position and was hoping an implant might slightly improve feeling of fullness. The idea of the vertical scar really freaks me out and I'm wondering if I could get away with just a rounded implant if I am willing to deal with a bit of sagginess out of a bra or if the added weight would lead to an unacceptable degree of sagginess.

Avoiding a breast lift during breast augmention

+2

Your best bet may be to have a breast augmentation to the size you need, then reassess if a lift is needed. This approach requires patience on the part of the patient.

As many esteemed colleagues have pointed out, you are a bit of a borderline case.

While staged surgeries might obligate you to a second surgery, it may also avoid a breast lift, and is unquestionably a safer route.

Freaking over a Vertical Scar in a Breast Augmentation Lift

+2

In Plastic Surgery as in life, for each situation, our world is FULL of choices and options but only one or a few are really the best ones.

Your breasts are deficient in 2 correctable ways
- they are empty - and would benefit from more VOLUME (BREAST AUGMENTATION)

- they are sagging - and would benefit from a BREAST LIFT (MASTOPEXY)

Adding volume (placing an implant) will minimally lift the breast, if at all. Placing a VERY large implant in an attempt to bring about a "scar-less lift" is a BAD idea. It will initially lift the nipple somewhat but will rapidly cause major breast sagging and wasting away of breast tissue uncovering the implant and its ripples.

Correction of the sagging breast requires a PROPERLY CHOSEN lift. Although there are several minimalistic ways to do lifts (periareolor or Benelli) they work in very minimal sagging cases and will NOT give you the result you deserve.

If a vertical scar still "freaks you out" - do not have it. But be aware that NO other method will shape, cone and lift the breast (augmented or not, without it.

To read everything you need to know about BREAST AUGMENTATION AND AUGMENTATION MASTOPEXY, follow the informative link posted below -

Dr. P. Aldea

Breast augmentation first and decide at 6 months if you need a lift

+1

Thank you for your question. You may be able to have a sufficient lift with a periareolar incision and avoid the vertical scar

.The best option is to have your breast augmentation and wait 6 months to a year to see if you need a lift. You may not.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Avoid vertical scar in breast lift

+1

You can avoid a vertical scar only if the lift is very minimal, 1-2cm. Otherwise very difficult to get a lasting result without a vertical scar.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Vertical scar in augmentation mastopexy

+1

There are two basic issues in augmentation mastopexy. The augmentation (breast implant) increases the volume of the breast to the desired size. The mastopexy ("breast lift") improves the shape of the breast (elevating the position of the nipple and putting the breast tissue back on the chest where it belongs).

It's hard to tell from the photos you supplied, but your ptosis ("droopiness") doesn't look too severe (a side-on image would demonstrate things better). What plastic surgeons look for is the position of the nipple with respect the fold underneath the breast. If the level of the nipple is below the fold, then a breast lift/mastopexy is needed. If not, then you could get away with just having a straight augmentation and avoid a vertical breast scar.

The final thing I would say is that the vertical breast scar does tend to heal particularly well!

Damian Marucci, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon

Avoid the vertical scar

+1

You would be a very good candidate for an implant procedure without a lift (mastopexy).  I would recommend placing the implant on top of the muscle to give you some lift and also I would choose silicone, it is more natural feeling when placing on top of the muscle.

With Warm Personal Regards,

David R Finkle, MD

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Beast Implants in slightly saggy breasts

+1

while a breast implant alone will not lift your breast, it will give it an optical illusion of a lift in that there will be a greater degree of roundedness above the nipple to more closely match the tissue below the nipple. In your case where your level of sagging is a 3 out of 4 in terms of severity, the implants would need to be placed above the muscle. If you are willing to accept that the location of your breasts on your ribcage will not change and are willing to be happy with just a fuller upper pole of your breast, then an augmentation alone is OK to perform. If down the road you want them lifted, that can always be done as a second surgery later.

Julio Garcia, MD

Although you may need a mastopexy to achieve the look you ultimately desire, a breast

+1

augmentation alone would significantly improve the appearance of your breasts.  In particular, if you had gel implants placed under the rbeasts but above the muscle, you would be able to achieve a small amountof lift, and might be happy with the fullness in your breasts as well as the size.  Just be aware that if you find that there is still too much droopiness in the breasts, you would then benefit from a second procedure to lift the breasts.  If you are truly comfortable with the possibility of a second procedure to lift the breasts, I see no reason not to proceed with the augmentation alone and see if that gives you the look you desire.

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

May avoid a lift with implants alone and get an excellent result

+1

An experienced surgeron should be able to give you an excellent result with implants alone, judging from the pictures you sent, as long as the size you desire will aloow for a large enough implant to fill your skin envelope.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Saggy Breasts and Breast Augmentation

+1

Ptosis refers to truly saggy breasts. In this case the nipple is lower than the breast fold. Unless it is minor, it generally requires a breast lift to raise the nipples to the correct position.

Glandular pseudoptosis refers to a situation where the nipples are set at the appropriate level of the breast fold, but skin and/or breast tissue lie beneath the fold. In this case, implant alone, or implant with minor lower skin excision will correct the condition.

Based on your single photo, you appear to have very minor pseudoptosis. Breast augmentation with an implant alone will likely provide you with a lovely result.

Karen Vaniver, MD