Avoiding Pulling Incisions After Lower Body or Inner Thigh Lift

I'm researching about lower body lift including an inner thigh lift and I'm concerned about how the patient is supposed to avoid pulling on these areas during the recovery. I would think even going to the bathroom would be problematic even if the patient was otherwise lying in bed recovering.

Also, I live on the third floor, and stairs are not recommended, either! How are these situations managed without pulling the incisions? I'm concerned about ripping open the stitches.

What you can do after lower body lift or thigh lift

+2

It's true you want to avoid activity that puts tension on your incision lines after surgery. The more tension you place on your incisions, the more likely you are to have a widened scar or wound healing problems. Some tension is unavoidable, but you will need to make some changes in the initial postoperative period. You will have drains in place, and will have dressings or garments that you will need help with. You are correct in recognizing it will be difficult to go to the bathroom initially, and you will need help with some basic activities early on.

I typically have my patients go to either an aftercare facility or hospital for the first night or two. Some patients prefer to stay longer, especially if they are in a situation where they do not have enough support at home, or if they have too many demands on them at home to allow time for peaceful recovery. (This is often the case when the patient is the primary caretaker of everyone else at home!) Afterwards, I would recommend temporarily staying with a family member or friend so you are not tackling 3 flights of stairs right after surgery.

Keep in mind you can also have surgery in two stages, with the circumferential body lift (or belt lipectomy) in one surgery and the thigh lift in a separate surgery. How many areas you include in one operation does affect your recovery process and recovery time.

I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what you are a good candidate for, come up with a plan that fits your needs and life demands, and go from there.

Good luck!

Lower body lift

+2

There is going to be a pulling on these incisions, you worry about it. We worry about it.

You have to be very careful, and you need help for almost two weeks. Sit on the toilet straight, no bending.

Urination in the shower and shower after have to use the bathroom use surgical scrub soap.

For inner thigh lift, avoid spreading the legs open.

Pulling on incisions

+1

In performing a lower body lift, the way I do it is that the back is not flexed in any extreme way, but the front is closed with some flexion. Patients may feel pulling in a seated positoin , and may be better off flat or slightly flexed at the waist like in a beach chair position.

Consider staging the surgery.

+1

I prefer to do lower body lifts in stages (extended tummy tuck first and later buttock lift) and with this design I have not had an incision pull apart in the twelve years I have been doing them. Different docs will have different opinions on this one for sure.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after body lift

+1

Good question regarding recovery after a body lift or thigh lift.  Your surgeon will discuss timing of surgery and choice of surgery to minimize the impact of the sutures and surgery on postoperative activity.  In my practice, I recommend a more conservative approach as a more rapid recovery and resumption of activity usually leads to healthier patients and more salient results. 

Web reference: http://www.expertlipo.com

Postoperative limitations following lower body lift and inner thigh lift

+1

Pulling on incisions are a concern following lower body lifts and inner thigh lifts. To some degree, tension on the wounds are unavoidable and so the goal is to limit this with assistive devices such as abductor wedges, toilet seat risers, walkers, etc. Certainly, loose clothing will also be less likely to irritate or pull on the wounds.

A third floor residence is an imposing situation and you may want to consider alternative living arrangements such as an extended care facility or residence.