Can I Avoid a Lift? (photo)

I am happy with the size of my Areola, and their placement on my breast. I am also happy with my over all breast shape. All I want is for my breast to have more over all volume, and be more projected out towards the front. Can an implant alone do this? One doc wanted to reduce my areola & give me a donut lift so I had more upper volume. But thats not the look I am looking for. I want projected volume and no change to my areola. I want them to look similar to now, just more projected. Can I avoid a lift?

Can I Avoid a Lift?

+2

Given your goals, I would recommend implants and no lift. The one possible issue is that with implants the low nipples may look unusual rather than just low, but I think the result will be acceptable. 

Choose the doc that agrees with your goal and plan. That way he/she will be on your side if the outcome is less than ideal.

Thanks for your question, and for the photos, and best wishes. 

Breast Augmentation with Lift?

+2

From your photos, it appears that you could have an augmentation without lift. Particularly if you are happy with the size of your areola, an implant will fill out your breast and create the illusion of a lift. One way to predict your result would be to use a 3 dimensional imaging program to see changes in your breast shape with different implants.

Michael Horn, MD

Implant and no lift

+2

It is important to listen to the patients wishes. You are saying that you are happy with your areola and only want volume and projection. A plus profile or high profile implant that is properly sized will meet your needs. You can always do a lift later.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation candidate

+2

Based on your photos, you appear to be a great candidate for breast augmentation. A high profile implant will give you the added volume and projection that you desire. A comprehensive evaluation and examination by your local plastic surgeon will help you determine the best options for surgery.
Thank you for your question and photos. Best of luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Implant size and shape will make a difference

+2

I don't think it is absolutely necessary that a lift will be required if you use moderate to large implants and select a higher projecting profile (moderate-plus or high profile). You should also select the peri-areolar or inframammary incisional approach (over the transaxillary) as this will allow the implants to be positioned as low as possible in a dual-plane pocket. 3D imaging with computer simulation would be a big help to you in seeing the predicted degree of lift that different size implants would achieve. At most, a relatively limited lift could be done at a second procedure if you ultimately found it necessary. All the best!

Scott A. Brenman, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

LIFT????

+2

Thanks for the photos.  You do not need a lift.  I would recommend a dual plane augmentation with a high profile implant. Good luck.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Only or Breast Lift As Well?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

As you know, it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination. However, based on your photographs and the fact that you have well-thought-out goals, I think it is likely that you will do well with breast augmentation only.

The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or "D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Can I avoid a lift

+2

Thank you for your question and for the photos. While the photos are no substitue for an exam, I can give you some thoughts based on these. Most plastic surgeons would recommend a small lift and areoalr reduction for you. However, this is not absolutely essential. You could have a breast augmentation alone, which would leave your areola at their current size and make the top part of your breat more full. You may some slight sag off the implant, but this should be subtle. Typically with breasts like yours, a biplanar approach is used to help allow the lower pole to unfurl.

I would suggest meeting with a couple of plastic surgeons to find one who seems to understand your goals and the look that you would like to achieve.

Best of luck with your breasts.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

I believe most plastic surgeons would recommend a breast lift as well

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos.  The short answer is that yes you can have a breast augmentation alone without a breast left.  If the implant this placed appropriately above the inframammary fold you will have some breast tissue that will be slightly falling off of the implant at the bottom pole of your breast.  This will not Detract from the overall result too much but it will be less than ideal.  If you are okay with this then yes a breast augmentation alone should serve you well.  If however you would like an ideal breast shape then I believe most plastic surgeons would recommend a breast lift as well.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Maybe yes, maybe no

+2

Determining if you need a lift or not depends on many factors in addition to your photo. If you are not convinced by your current surgeon as to the need for a lift or not, I'm sure he or she would welcome you to get a second or third opinion. Unfortunately, you may get 2 or 3 different answers because all surgeons approach problems differently.

Although you must rely on the surgeons who have had the opportunity to talk to you about your goals and examine you, there a few facts that will help you understand the problem. First of all, the larger the implant used, the less likely you are to need a lift. Also be advised that if you you do choose to proceed with an implant without a lift, you will be at risk of a "double-bubble" deformity (or other problems) as described in an earlier answer. Fortunately, these are easily corrected by doing a lift at a second stage (a second operation). Although it sounds scary to entertain the idea of needing a second operation, another fact you should know is that patients who undergo a lift and implant at the same time in one operation are at a very high risk of having a problem requiring a second operation anyway. 

Talk to your surgeon further about your concerns until you are comfortable and confident in the plan.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon