What Can I Do to Avoid Further Asymmetry Between my New Breast Implants? (photo)

im 16 days post op, i have 400 cc moderate profile saline breast implants. my right breast has settled slightly higher then my left and is starting to look smaller all together, Ive had several visits with my surgeon but his doctors orders consist mainly of aggressively massaging my right implant in hopes that it'll drop further. he insists the implant crease is higher then my left because of the capsule thats formed around it. I'm concerned the pocket may not have been done accurately though.

Breast asymmetry after breast augmentation

+2

You are only 2 weeks after surgery. This is the good news. It typically takes at least 3 months for breast augmentation healing to be complete. Both of your breasts will look significantly different in 3 months. And most likely, much more symmetric. The bad news is that the left implant pocket appears to be over-dissected and that the IMF has been violated. The right implant appears fine in these photos. There is not much that can be done if the pocket has been over-dissected. I have seen patients use foam tape on the chest wall and on the lower surface of the breast to try to prevent further descent of the implant. But I am not certain that such efforts are really that helpful. If the left implant pocket has been over-dissected, the implant will "bottom out" and will need another surgery to recreate the IMF. But, I really would not worry about it yet. Give the implants time to settle and soften. You might be just fine in time. Not much to do right now. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts after augmentation

+1

You are certainly uneven but you are only 16 days after surgery. As my colleagues have said, you need to wait and see what happens over the next 3-6 months.  In my opinion, your breasts will probably improve, but I suspect there will still be some asymmetries. I think you will eventually need a revisional surgery.  Sorry.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Breast Implant Asymmetry

+1

I am sorry your results are less than satisfactory. There has not been a sufficient period of time to say that this is your final result, but your photo suggests that there is an asymmetry in the pocket size and position on your chest wall, specifically the inframammary fold is lower on one side, and the distance from the fold to the nipple are therefore greater on the side with the lower fold.  This will not improve with time.

You will need a revision surgery if you want to improve symmetry.  To answer your question, it might be wise to reduce the size of your implants, as they are too large for your anatomy and are the root cause of your problem. Had the surgeon been placing appropriately sized implants, there would have been much more predicatability of where the new inframammry folds would be, the folds would would be higher, and there would be greater symmetry.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast

+1

from your pictures and knowing your only 16 days out, you still have a lot of healing to go through. In our practice we give our patients a breast band that you put on top of your implants to force them to come down. I would check with your surgeon too see what other options you have to make the changes neccessary to make you happy.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS