What would be the best way of getting rid of this mole? (Photo)

this mole turned up on my lip last year and it has gotten bigger, at times it gets puffy and is real painful. Since the location is near and on my lip what type of procedure could be used and would it be costly? I want to get it removed anyway because i am a sun lover and i think it would be best to not have it there.

Changing mole on lip

+1
Your "mole" needs to be examined by a dermatologist in person. What you are describing are some of the key signs of possible skin cancer - changing in size, swelling, pain. And that you are self-describing as a "sun lover" makes me even more concerned. Please see a dermatologist for an in-person exam and possible biopsy of the site.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Mole removal on the lips

+1
Our office specializes in mole removal in Los Angeles. Upon examination, the mole can be treated with either laser mole removal or mole excision, depending on whether the mole has a vascular component. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

What would be the best way of getting rid of this mole?

+1
Excision with mobilization of small flaps from the surrounding skin to allow the scar to be camouflaged in the white roll, which is the junction of your lip and skin.  This would result in an inverted "T" scar.  Your skin has qualities that lead me to believe you may form prominent scars.  I would carefully weigh the possibility of a poor scar against the current appearance.  Only you and your surgeon can make the final determination.  Best of luck.  

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon