Avid Runner - How Big Can I Go?

I am scheduled for BA next week. I am currently a very small 34B/34A and an trying to decide between 421cc and 457 cc. I am not a competitive runner but I frequently run half marathons and occasionally full marathons. My main concern is that it not become uncomfortable to run 3-5 miles 4-5 times a week. Any advice is appreciated.

Runner and implants

+1

Those are both significantly large implants that may make it difficult to keep such an active running lifestyle.  Smaller may be better.

Don't go too big!

+1

I have done many, many reductions on women runners who complain about their oversized breasts getting in the way and flopping around and having to wear two or even three job bras.  I would think twice about the size you have decided on.  You are going to be really, really busty.  I cannot imagine that stopping traffic with your oversized breasts is more important that running to you at this stage in your life.  I'd go with a smaller implant which will be much more suited to your likely slender runner's build. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Implant size in a runner

+1

I consider both sizes you mention to be pretty generous.  I recommend going with the smaller size, but, of course, the final decision is yours.  You will likely be a D cup with either size.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Best Breast Implant Size/Profile for Me?

+1

As you can imagine, despite your good description of body type and goals, it is not possible to give you precise  advice online.
The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. Make sure you let your plastic surgeon know about the activities that you enjoy doing and/or any other lifestyle “priorities” that you may have in mind.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “full C” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Half Marathons and 400 + cc implants

+1

Distance runners frequently complain about implants larger than 300 cc, sometimes at less than that.   I would decide if the look is more important, or running half marathons.  If you feel like you need 450 cc to be happy then go with that.

Avid Runner - How Big Can I Go?

+1

We have a lot of runners in the Pacific Northwest and it seems most of them are comfortable in a full B or small C cup range.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

What cup size for a runner?

+1

As others have said, difficult to answer without more information.  I have many runners in my practice who have had breast augmentation.  In general, the larger the implant the more impact or limitation it can have on your comfort and ability to continue running.

Often, it is a compromise between the size you desire for a cosmetic appearance and the size that meets your desire to continue running.  Most of my patients who are avid runners use implants ranging from 250 to 350 cc.  But I have used implants both larger and smaller than this in runners.

In the end, you need to decide if your appearance or your activity level is most important.  I hope this helps.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

How big can I go?

+1

Thank you for your question. Without your photos or more information about height and weight it is difficult to give you an answer. Basically, you are asking if should you drink a 12oz or 13oz Coke? That is the difference between the two implant sizes you are contemplating. Good luck with your surgery.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Running and Breast Implants

+1

I would not let your running interfere with the size your breast implants. My practice is in Southern California and I have many patients as runners.  I have had a few that went smaller because they were runners and then came back and went bigger.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Running and breast implants

+1

You can go as large as you want to go.  Of course, the larger the implant, the more weight you are adding to your chest that you will have to support.  I have several runners as patients and most of them only want to be a large B, small C.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD