What is the Average Space Between the Nipple and the Crease?

Im planning on getting a breast augmentation and was wondering if I go too big if my nipples will be pointed more down because I dont have the average space between my nipple and crease? thanks

Distance between nipple and breast crease will impact selection of Breast Implant for Augmentation

+2

Breast Augmentation is about aesthetics and not just size.  If nipple to crease distance is short a very large implant will not yield beautiful breast and will make nipple point downwards.  I don't believe that disrrupting crease to stuff in large implants is wise manuever.  It often does not work well.  A good plastic surgeon needs to respect nature's boundaries to be able to deliver artistry for his patients.

You are right in your estimations of your anatomical limit. Congratulations on your superior instincts.  

Web reference: http://www.drrai.net

Breast augmentation with a tighter fold

+2

The average distance from the nipple to the breast fold is about 6 cm, and if the skin envelop under the breast is tight the volume and diameter of the breast implant deserves consideration. You may not need a lift, as the pocket can be shaped and positioned to push and set the breast fold lower, and the skin envelop will relax and the nipple to fold distance will increase as the implants settle in or 'drops' as some say. If you wish for a volume that is more than the tighter fold can handle, a 'double bubble' can result, or an implant that remains rather high and round. Choose your look with care.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Mildly contricted breasts can have nice augmentation results

+2

From the appearance of your photos, you have a fairly short distance from the infra-mammary fold to the nipple. I would characterize your breast as midly constricted. This dimension limits the diameter and volume of implant that would look good in you. Without an exam, we cannot make definitive recommendations. My advice would be to avoid large and wide implants.

Web reference: http://www.scottsattlermd.com

Areola to inframammary crease distance

+1

The distance from the lower edge of the areola and the inframammary crease depends a lot on the size of the breast.  In general, the larger the breast, the greater the distance tends to be.  For the average B and C cup breasts, the distance is normally 5-6 cm's.  Patients with constricted or tuberous breasts have a shorter distance from areola to the crease. A dual plane technique can allow an implant to sit lower in the breast in these patients which will allow this distance to increase as it settles into place. You appear to have a relatively short distance and mildly constricted breasts and could probably benefit from this technique and, hopefully prevent the need for a small lift.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

How nipple-fold distance will dictate the implant used in a breast augmentation

+1

Hello and thank you for the question ~

From examination of your photographs, it appears as if you have a short nipple to fold distance.  This distance will vary from person to person. A shorter distance will dictate, to an extent, the dimensions of an implant that may be utilized in a breast augmentation which will allow for an aesthetically pleasing and balanced result.  Keep in mind that over time, the nipple to fold distance will increase following a breast augmentation. This may take months to fully develop and it does have an upper limit.  These factors, thus, need to be discussed with the patient during the consultation so that they understand how the breast will appear early on after the surgery, and how, with time, the breast appearance will improve.I would recommend discussing these concerns with your plastic surgeon. 

Kindest Regards ~

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Web reference: http://www.beverlyhillscosmeticsurgeon.com/breast-augmentation.php

Nipple to crease distance...

+1

The distance between the niple and inframammary fold differs from patient to patient.  Looking at your photos I disagree with one of the other reviewers- I do not believe you have any sort of constriction.  You do look like someone who needs the crease lowered or a procedure to raise your nipple to avoid the appearance of a high implant.  Thinking of your nipple as the center of a circle, the implant should end up sitting close to where the nipple and the center of the implant are aligned.  If the center of the implant ends up far above the nipple, your implants will appear too high.  The other choice that may help is by using a higher profile implant which, therefore, has a smaller diameter.  This smaller circle doesnt need to extend too low which is the issue in your case.

Breast augmentation candidate

+1

The distance from the areola to inframmamary crease increases as the breast size increases. Often is is possible to increase the distance from the areola to the “new crease” at the time of breast augmentation surgery.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm

Selecting the ideal breast implant size

+1

Your anatomic dimensions are what dictates the ideal size implant, and not an arbitrary desire. I agree in that the distance from the lower edge of your areola to the breast fold (inframammary fold) is tight (less than 6 cm). By creating a submuscular pocket to place the implant, these dimensions can be somewhat altered. In addition, by lowering this fold you can make the level of your areolas appear somewhat higher and potentially avoid a breast lift. Based off your photographs, a submuscular or dual-plane breast augmentation with a moderate size silicone gel implant with or without a Benelli ("Donut", "Periareolar") Mastopexy will not only give you a much improved result, but also reduce the diameter of your areolas. Avoid a larger implant in that you can potentially create asymmetry, double bubble deformities, palpable implants, implant visiblity problems, etc.