Avelor Procedure for Tummy Tuck?

I'm considering a Tummy Tuck, and the Avelar method is very appealing, since I have two young children and it's supposed to be safer with much quicker healing.

I'm 5'2" and weigh 118 lbs. I have some loose skin, but not a lot. The results seem to vary widely from doctor to doctor, and I can only find a few board certified doctors who offer it. Why is this?

Tummy Tuck procedures

+1

Kkmommy,

Honestly I had never heard of the Alvelar Tummy Tuck but I researched it. It sounds like a mixture of a couple of procedures and given the name of the physician Juarez Alvelar who first endorsed it.

Here is how I view abdominal contouring. If you have excess skin, excess fat and weakness of the abdominal muscles a full tummy tuck is probably needed plus or minus judicious liposuction. A mini tummy tuck would target the lower abdominal muscles and excess skin. If you have good skin quality (no excess) excess fat and no laxity to the abdominal muscles then liposuction would be needed. This a very general explanation of the evaluation and treatment of the abdomen!

I would state to get the change in the abdomen that most women desire after child bearing would require the standard techniques of abdominoplasty and/or liposuction.

Simply: If the vast majority of board certified plastic surgeons are using the same basic surgeries to contour the abdomen then that should tell you something.

Good Luck

Dr. ES

Avelar Technique Tummy Tuck

+1

The reason there are so many techniques in Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) is that patients present differently with different appearances each of which can be best managed slightly differently.

Respectfully, I think that some patients do too much technical reading and are hopelessly seduced and caught up by the promises of a technique rather than by its real life capabilities. Only Plastic surgeons who have done these procedures can attest what they do well and what they do not do well.

I would advise you to see several real Plastic surgeons (www.PlasticSurgery.org) and see what each says is best for you without necessarily getting caught up on the terminology. You should ask them what their experience has been with someone who looks like you and what each thinks would best treat you.

Dr. P. Aldea

Avelar Tummy Tuck

+1

The technique uses liposuction, and usually smaller incisions, to achieve tightening of the abdomen. It is a good technique for patients with a certain body type, who have limited skin laxity, good elasticity, and some fat to remove.

Like any other surgery, success all depends on your body type and your expectations. The "mini" techniques generally produce less dramatic results.

Please remember, "no key fits every lock" and it is really better to see a surgeon who will deliver a customized plan for you, rather than seek a given procedure just because it is being promoted.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Avelor Tummy Tuck just another name for old procedure

+1

Just another name to an old procedure. This really in a short scar tummy tuck with lateral liposuction. Nothing really new. Most plastic surgeons do a variation of this. So go see 3 boarded plastic surgeons in your area. Regards.

Am I a candidate for my preferred Tummy Tuck technique?

+1

Hi there-

With all of the varying techniques for tummy tucking, as well as breast lifting, etc., it can be very confusing to try to understand the who's and what's of it all...

It is very important for you to understand that not all patients will be good candidates for all techniques... we need to match your current appearance and your goals with the technique that is most likely to give you the outcome you want. The only way to do this is through a consultation and an examination.

Choosing a technique based solely on the scar or the perceived diminishment in recovery disability, with less consideration paid to the differences in anticipated aesthetic outcome, will almost certainly lead to your dissatisfaction.

In other words, after surgery, how happy are you going to be if you had the smooth and easy recovery you wanted, but your abdomen STILL doesn't look good to you? Probably not very happy.

I would start by first finding a reputable and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that you like and trust, and discussing your goals and options with them. Remember that the only thing worse than being unhappy with how you look is spending a lot of money, having surgery, and STILL being unhappy with how you look.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Excess skin

+1

Don't kid yourself, although you need a full examination, from that photo you have plenty of excess of abdominal skin and are a candidate for a full tummy tuck. That will give you the best result. In competent hands the recovery is short. People don't do the Avelar method because it is a marketing ploy by some doctors and it is not an accepted method and offers nothing more than what we normally do.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Avelar technique for abdominoplasty

+1

I am familiar with the Avelar technique, which includes liposuction of the abdomen with skin excision.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, and have a discussion regarding what technique is best in your case.

Darrick E. Antell, MD