Avelar Technique Mini Tummy Tuck Vs. Traditional Mini Tuck

I can you please tell me the difference between these. I have had 3 babies in 4 years....18 years ago. I am 110 lbs 5'tall. I'm about 6 lbs more than I like to be but I'm 50 now. My skin is wrinkly & lax I can easily grab a hand full of skin? or fat? especially below belly button. No stretch marks & I think my muscles aren't too bad I've pretty much always exercised. I worry about the scar from surgery. Thanks

Avelar technique has less undermining of the skin

+2

The Avelar technique was developed about 20 years ago by Dr Juarez Avelar. It was developed at a time when there was great concern about performing tummy tucks and abdominoplasty at the same time. It is now a very common thing to do as we understand the blood supply to the skin of the abdomen much better now.

I think that most plastic surgeons who perform liposuction and abdominoplasty at the same time today are all performing a much more modern variation of what he began back in 1990 by using the knowledge and experience that has been gained since that time. The main difference is in the amount of undermining and amount of skin removed.

As far as a mini vs a full. I would choose an experienced Plastic Surgeon who you trust to help decide which is best for you

Full tummy tuck

+1

It sounds like youa re more of a full tummy tuck candidate than anything else. Mini's are really not a great operation.

Full vs mini tummy tuck

+1

Avelar technique is just a name for a procedure modification that makes it safer to do liposuction of the abdominal wall at the same time as a tummy tuck. From your description, it does not sound like you need liposuction, but you likely need removal of excess skin. If you have loose skin above the belly button, a full tummy tuck is appropriate. How long the scar will be and what procedure is the best to help get the results you want are best decided in person in consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

IF you have as much loose skin as you describe, your best solution is likely to be using a full tummy tuck technique to remove all skin below the belly button. Doing a mini tummy tuck will likely leave you with loose skin.