Avelar Technique for a Tummy Tuck? What Are my Anesthesia Options? Is General Safe?

I am scheduled for a TT and augmentation. I am going out of town. My surgeon sent me a packet with instructions stating I will have general administered through a mask. I am a little afraid of general anesthesia-everyone has read articles about people being awake during it or not waking back up due to some unknown condition. I've heard about a TT under local anesthia. Is it a good idea? Is general safer? Is there anything I can do to increase the safety? Additional blood tests? Health tests?

General anesthesia for tummy tuck

+1

You state that you are undergoing a tummy tuck and breast augmentation.  If the implants are placed retro-pectoral, the muscle must be paralyzed. This can only be achieved through general anesthesia.  I have NEVER done an abdominoplasty under local and I do NOT recommend it.  I think you should meet with the anesthesiologist to go over your medical history so he can alleviate your fears of general anesthesia.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and General Anesthesia

+1

A few years part, I worked with a top notch anesthesiologist who would often had address the very same questions you are asking.  She would calmly explain for a healthy patient, the risks of general anesthesia with a tummy tuck are less than the risks of being seriously injured or worse when driving to or from the hospital.  She would also explain that because she was in complete control, she could do whatever was needed by me, the plastic surgeon, to get the best result.

If you are a healthy patient and you have discussed your concerns with your surgeon and you trust their opinion, I would go with the type of anesthesia that your plastic surgeon feels will allow them to get you the best result possible and with as much safety as possible. Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia question

+1

In my practice I prefer deep IV sedation or general anesthesia for a tummy tuck or breast augmentation. If you are healthy, you do not need labs before surgery. The risks of anesthesia are small for healthy people and you will not have to worry about feeling anything or being awake. Good luck, please see a board certified plastic surgeon for further information.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck under local anesthesia?

+1

Although Tummy tucks are sometimes done under a local sedation and reported to have excellent results, I beleive that a general anesthesia for tummy tucks is essential for a safe and excellent cosmetic outcome. Tummy tucks tighten the abdominal muscles and in order to get the muscles appropiately tightened a general anesthesia is needed to relax the muscles, in addition any local or IV sedation  that would be adequate to allow for muscle tightening would in fact be a general anesthesia without the neccesary ventiallation support, a dangerous situation. A TT under general anesthesia is a very safe operation and I encourage you to speak with your surgeon about your concerns. 

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon