Borderline lift: is a larger implant an option? I'm 5'2", 108 lbs. (Photo)

Hi, I am turning 40, with 2 children and breastfed for 2 weeks . I had a consult & was told I am Borderline lift, but I could get a fairly good result using larger implants . I was measured with a BWD of 12 and am 159 cms (5'2) and 49 kgs ( 108lbs) and was told that the best size is a 420cc under the muscle implant. Is that a realistic option? Realistically I am not looking to have the perky boobs of a 20 yr old, I just would like them fuller and more proportionate to my body. thanks :)

Implant size

+2
If you are looking for more of a natural tear drop shaped result, you may just benefit from a dual plane breast augmentation.  In terms of implant size, there are several factors that plastic surgeons consider when recommending implant sizes. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Borderline lift: is a larger implant an option?

+2
Hi,
Many thanks for an interesting and a frequently asked question on line. The best answer lies with the surgeon who examined you. If I knew your chest circumference my answer could have been different. In general I will agree that you need under the muscle implant and 420 cc will perhaps leave you with a D cup. or a DD cup.
If this is what you could be happy with than perhaps breast lift may not be needed. If you leave it your PS to decide at the end of surgery he can perhaps do a correction by hemi crescent lift to relocate your nipple about 2 cm higher than what he will see after implant insertion. This method will leave a semicircular scar in the upper half of your areola. If this suggestion is not understandable let your surgeon read the text who can understand what I mean.
Wish you all the best

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Choosing Breast size is a personal decision, however using volume for a lift may not be the best idea.

+2
Hello Mender, 

I would agree with your surgeon that your breast configuration is such that a lift may be in order. You are thin and in order to have a more natural appearance and reduce the risk of capsular contracture placing the implant under the muscle may be a good position for your implants. However, trying to lift your breasts by placing a larger implant may or may not be the best way to lift your breasts if you do not want to have significantly larger breasts. It is best to try on various size implants and/or use a 3-d camera system to give you an idea what a 420 cc implant will give you in terms of volume. One thing to consider as well, long term if you place a larger implant this will be more likely to drop over time and require a lift in the not to distant future. However, if you are trying to avoid any other incisions from a lift and don't mind the extra volume a 420 cc does not sound too large for your chest/breast. Definitely take some time to consider size options and possibly go back for another discussion with your Surgeon prior to your final decision on a breast implant size. 

Joseph B. Eby, MD, FACS

Borderline lift: is a larger implant an option? I'm 5'2", 108 lbs.

+1
Breast augmentation alone would be a reasonable option just based upon the pictures, but an exam will be necessary to make a determination. Find an expert in breast surgery who has great reviews and great before and after photos.

No lift

+1
Without a lift, your nipples will not sit in a higher position. You may have a more natural appearance with just an augmentation. A 420 cc implant in someone who only weighs 108 pounds is a fairly large size. I don't recommend using an implant that is too heavy for your tissue. With time, a heavy implant will sag and thin your tissue.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Borderline lift

+1
You may indeed be a "borderline lift" but also know that a larger implant is heavier and more likely to succumb to gravity over time and yield big sagging breasts.  
The general rule of thumb is that if the nipples sit below the inframammary fold (the crease under the breast), then a lift is recommended. However, there are several other anatomic factors of the breast as well as the patient's desires and expectations that further determine whether a lift is performed or not with or without an implant. Because a breast lift tightens up the breast envelope and breast implants expand the breast envelop, you are more limited by this fact than any other when trying to go with a large implant. One way around this issue is to have the procedures done separately, for example have the lift done first then 6+ months later undergo the breast augmentation with implants. In general it is always best to fit the implant with the patients breast anatomic dimensions thus minimizing immediate as well as long term complications. Once you are ready, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that can then perform an in person physical exam and help you best decide on a final surgical plan.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Breast Lift with Implants

+1
Hi Mender,
In looking at your photos, I would do a dual plane BA. Great answer below by Dr. Basu also.  Please see the web reference below.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon