Autotransplant Possible? Unerupted Wisdom Tooth to Fractured 1st Molar? (photo)

My lower left 1st Molar is fractured with RCT completed & is likely to be either extracted or crowned. My friend (not a dentist) suggested an alternative treatment plan: Q) Could my lower left unerupted wisdom tooth be removed & auto transplanted to take the place of my 1st molar?

Can I Transplant my Wisdom Tooth to replace my Fractured First Molar

+2

From your xray the position of the wisdom tooth would not allow removal in one piece unless you sacrificed #31 most likely which makes no sense.   If #30 can be fixed with a crown that would be your first choice.  Otherwise replace it with an implant and let the wisdom rest in peace!

Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Wisdom Tooth Transplant

+2

Hey KenC,

That's a very interesting question. I've performed several of these as a fellow. I've only performed the procedure in 12-14 year old children. The literature suggests the success rate is significantly higher in children. Plus we cannot place implants in kids. That being said, it's not something I'd attempt in an adult.  A dental implant is a great solution. Its simple and predictable.  Good Luck1

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Transplant tooth?

+2

In most cases it will fail I suggest extraction of #30 and move 31 and 32 forward with orthodontics better option higher success rate good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Board Certified Periodontist

+2

Just looking at the radiograph provided.  I would say that your third molar position is not favorable for extraction.  It is a mesial horizontal impaction and is usually cut into multiple pieces for removal.  As such the tooth could not be moved to an alternative postition because it needs to be removed in pieces. 

Hollywood Cosmetic Dentist

Autotransplant

+2

In my opinion I would not recommend this. The roots of your fractured molar and roots of your unerupted wisdom tooth are shaped differently so even if your tooth was removed and replaced with the wisdom tooth, it would not fit, not to mention that your second molar is in the way. Autotransplantation has been done in the past with a second molar moving into the place of the first if root morphology is similar, but it would still need to be root canal treated and crowned. These days, implants have much better and more predictable result to replace missing teeth.  Your best bet is to try to save your 1st molar if your dentist thinks it is possible after doing a diagnostic exam, or have it extracted and replaced with an implant. Good Luck!

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Transplanting your wisdom tooth.

+1

Your idea is great, but your too late.  Tooth transplantation can easily be done, but has come out of favor due to dental implants.  The problem for you is that your third molar is completely formed.  Tooth transplantation only works when the wisdom tooth is 1/2 to 3/4 formed. 

San Ramon Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon