Will an Autologous Rib Cartilage Graft Help Achieve Desired Results? (photo)

I'm in the last few months of researching before I schedule a date for my rhinoplasty. I am most interested in the autologous rib cartilage graft instead of using synthetic materials. In the attached image, the 1st image is my nose currently (my mother has a short nose and she passed it onto me...) and the 2nd is the nose I would love to have post-op. I was wondering, for the rhinoplasty procedure, is this achievable? A doctor told me he will be using my 7th rib cartilage to achieve the height.

Rib Cartilage to achieve desired results

Thank you for your question. After reviewing your photograph of your desired result I feel that this amount of increased projection is completely unrealistic.  You simply do not have enough soft tissue to accomplish this esthetic result.   Having said that you will be able to achieve a significant improvement,however,  the amount of improvement can only be determined after an examination of  the soft tissues of your nose.  As for the material it is a general consensus among plastic surgeons that the best long term results are obtained using your own tissue.  I prefer using septal and/or ear cartllage over rib grafts. 

2100 Webster Street
San Francisco, CA 94115

Rib graft is an option for Asian rhinoplasty

The rib graft suggested to you is a very good option for the result you are looking for from rhinoplasty, and may prove more problem free than synthetic materials used to build up the nasal bridge. Ask your surgeon for his computer simulation, as the photo you have worked up may be too optimistic.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Achieving maximal results during Asian rhinoplasty

The before and after that you have morphed for yourself shows an extermely dramatic result, and may or may not be possible depending on the extensibility of your skin.  Without question, using rib cartilage will be the best option to achieve maximal projection and refinement of your nose.  

Especially when building up the nose a significant amount, using synthetic implants will put excess tension and stress on the skin, ultimately thinning it and causing issues down the road.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Asian rhinoplasty with rib cartilage harvest

Rib cartilage is an excellent for augmenting and projecting your nose, but not to the extent you have displayed above.  The level of tip refinement will also be limited by your skin, and is unlikely to be as "sharp" as you have depicted.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Rib graft to enlarge the Asian nose

The amount of augmentation you drew out does not look reasonable to me. It depends on how tight your skin tissue is, but based on the photo alone, I don't think it is possible.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

462 N. Linden Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Autologous Rib Cartilage to Achieve Desired Result

If there is not adequate septal or ear cartilage, I will use rib cartilage rather than synthetic materials where there is more risk of infection or graft movement. Your expectations are realistic and I support your decision to use the rib cartilage.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Nasal Dorsal Augmentation

Every surgeon has his/her own technique for dorsal augmentation. Some use rib cartilage other use synthetic materials. The most important choice is to choose a surgeon that can deliver the results you want no matter what kind of implant is used. Its more about the surgeon than the implant material. So make sure you see many before and afters and are happy with the results.

Dr. S

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

44 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10021

Rib cartilage to build up Asian bridge

Rib cartilage is a very good option to acheive significant augmentation to the bridge and tip like you desire. It may be difficult to achieve the exact level of improvement you want depending on your anatomy and skin quality. An examination would allow for a better assessment of what level of augmentation is possible.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

Rib graft for dorsal onlay

Rib cartilage grafts are an excellent choice for dorsal augmentation although they can warp a bit. It would be difficult to say whether or not your skin would accomodate such tip projection of not without an exam.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Will an Autologous Rib Cartilage Graft Help Achieve Desired Results?

You have a foreshortened nose with a de-projected nasal tip.  I do not believe these enhanced results are reasonable or achieveable with Rhinoplasty.  Rib gratfs, IMHO, have the problem of dissolving unevenly over the years and for that reason, I use straight silastic dorsal gratfs to build up the nasal bridge.  Conchal cartilage ear grafts are the best, IMO for building up the nasal tip.  This is the reason, I tell prospective patients for Rhinoplasty and plastic and cosmetic surgery procedures not to rely on computer imaged photos as an indication of postop results.

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211