Autogolous Rib Rhinoplasty Op 6 Weeks Ago. Infection on my Nose, do I Require Removal?

currently under antibiotics , but i read that most implant require removal after infection. i have reconstruct almost my entire nose with my rib,so does that mean i have a good chance that i need to remove my implant.... infection on the pillar of my nose separating the two nostril

+2

Very hard to advise without photos and much more medical infomation. If you are improving you might be able to save the autologous rib graft but very risky. Best of luck. 

Infection in recent rib graft to the nose

+2

As others have said, it's very difficult to answer your question without an examination.  If the infection is successfully treated you may well be able to keep most or all of your rib graft.

The best advice for you at this time is to maximise your chances of success by ensuring that your infection is being properly and aggressively treated. Work with your surgeon to do everything you can to treat the infection.

If your treatment at this time is not being optimised, you are reducing your chances of  success.

As a general comment and not specific to your case (as we haven't seen you), it would be likely that you will be able to keep most or all of your graft.  However, I don't want to be overly optimistic to you without an exam, and unnecessarily raise your hopes.  Again, at this time make sure you are working well with your surgeon and their office, don't be too anxious and very good luck to you.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Rib graft and infection?

+2

It is so difficutl to comment on this without an exam.  If this is your own rib cartilage, and it is superficial,  then you probably have a good chance that it can remain. However, if the infection is bad then it more than likely has to come out.  This is something that you should have followed closely by your doctor.

Rib graft to nose and infection

+2

It is difficult for anyone to give you totally accurate advice without an examination, but typically using your own tissue, ie rib resists infection better than a foreign body implant. 6 weeks out, hopefully there has been some blood supply connected with the rib graft and therefore fighting off the infection should be able to take place. stay in close contact with your surgeon, see an infectious disease doctor if advised to by your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.drrickrosen.com/rhinoplasty-nose-surgery-connecticut/

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Infection in revision rhinoplasty

+2

I perform a great deal of revision rhinoplasty surgery and am a big advocate for the use of your own cartilage for nasal reconstruction.  In severe revision rhinoplasty cases, such as the one you likely underwent, rib cartilage is the only suitable material which will enable me to sculpt the nose and support the nose in the shape that you desire.  Synthetic implants are easier to use, do not warp, and come in various shapes and sizes.  However, when I read about the issues that you are having, although it takes more work to harvest your rib or ear cartilage to use for grafting, I am always relieved that if a small infection should occur post operatively, the infection will likely resolve with appropriate care and most importantly, without having to remove the nasal implant.  Even a small tear in the nasal mucosa on the inside of the nose can introduce bacteria into the area of the nose where implants have been placed and potentially compromise all of the work that was done to fix the nose.  In this particular situation, I would continue to treat with antibiotics, make sure that you are not having a skin reaction to any antibiotic ointment that you may be applying to the wounds, and follow up with your surgeon.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib cartilage or implant?

+2

Implants and grafts are not the same thing. "Autologous rib rhinoplasty" means grafts from your own rib cartilage (or less likely bone) was used for reconstruction, which is different than an implant. Do you also have an implant (examples are silicone or medpor implants)? Infection following reconstruction with your own tissue is less likely to require removal of grafts than infection following an implant. If it is reconstruction with your own rib, sometimes a suture can be infected, and this can be replaced, and the area drained and washed out. If you have an implant, it may need to come out. There are different degrees of infection also, so it is difficult to answer your question. I recommend maintaining close follow-up with your surgeon, and taking the antibiotics as instructed for now. If the infection does not improve, you you may need to have an incision and drainage, with washout of the area. If there is any drainage, the fluid can be sent for culture in order to identify the bacteria and what drug(s) the bacteria is sensitive to. Again, follow up with your surgeon closely.