Otoplasty Anesthesia Make Difference in Results?

My doctor says that he prefers to use general anaestesia over sedation or local, because that way he can go into the ears much deeper and make the results more pernmanent, that local/sedation otoplasty becomes reversible within time and that i wouldn't stand the pain during the surgery we're he to do it with local/sedation, is this true? Do all surgeons work better like this?

Does anesthesia make a difference in otoplasty results

+1

I have seen no difference in otoplasties performed under local, as opposed to sedation or general anesthesia.  I offer all three options to my patients because everyone has his or her own tolerance level but the procedure itself is not modified.  It is simply a matter of personal preference.

Otoplasty results and anesthesia

+1

We perform most otoplasty procedures under a local anesthesia.  If a patient desires to be placed under general anesthesia, it is certainly acceptable, however, the otoplasty procedure is exactly the same whether it is done under local or general anesthesia.  The only reason for general anesthesia is for patient comfort and safety.  That said, most adults prefer to have the otoplasty performed under a local anesthesia.

Do I need General Anesthesia For Otoplasty For a Better Result?

+1

Surgeons have different experience doing procedures with anesthesia and local anesthesia.  Otoplasty can be performed safely and effectively in the office setting for most patients.  General anesthesia is usually reserved for patients who are under the age of 12 or who are anxious about having a procedure performed in the office.  "Deeper otoplasty" techniques should be able to be performed while in the office.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Type of anesthesia does not affect the results of otoplasty surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. The type of anesthesia does not affect the outcome of otoplasty surgery. Your surgeon is just expressing his preference. I normally perform otoplasty surgery in my office with either just local anesthesia or adding mild oral sedation. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty and Anesthesia

+1

In this circumstance, it is more likely that your Surgeon is expressing his preference for how he like to do the procedure.  Facial Plastic Surgeons/ Plastic Surgeons are very specific, technique oriented people who generally have very strong opinions on how their procedures should be performed.  This does not mean it is wrong, unsafe, or less efficacious to have your procedure performed under IV sedation.  I think that it is more important that you trust your Surgeon's abilities, judgment, and capacity to obtain great results than any other factor.  Assuming that you are healthy, either anesthetic technique should be safe and effective.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty and Type of Anesthesia?

+1

The type of anesthesia used does not necessarily make a difference in otoplasty results. I would suggest that you do your due diligence and select your plastic surgeon carefully; ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. Once you have chosen a plastic surgeon that you feel can achieve the results you are looking for,  allow him/her to perform the operation with whatever type of anesthesia he/she feels most comfortable with.  Ultimately, what matters is the end result;  the vast majority of patients do well regardless of the type of anesthesia used.