My Belly Button is Red and my Mid Section Scar Opened and Has Healed over my Underpants Line? (photo)

My scar opened on the mid section about 1cm or so and has healed a more thick looking scar instead of that pencil line incision & it is visible in my underwear - will this heal back to where the incision was originally made?? If not, would scar revision bring it down slightly so it's underneath my underwear line? Also my bellybutton scar is quite red & little red bumps go to the outside of my bellybutton (very slightly) as you can see in pics - will this heal so it won't be noticeable in a swimsuit?

This patient is doing satisfactory after abdominoplasty.

+2

Minor wound healing issues are common after abdominoplasty. Your incisions are still red signaling significant biologic activity. This will all resolve with time.

Healing problems after an abdominoplasty

+1

An abdominoplasty incision is quite long and it is not unusual to have some degree of wound healing problems.  The dissoluble suture knots under the skin can occasionally get exposed and infected.  At this point the suture knot acts like a foreign body and until it is removed this localized infection will not resolve.  A wait and watch plan is common especially if you do not have any evidence of an invasive infection.  If you develop a fever and chills as well as increasing pain and wound redness then a local exploration of the wound is indicated to remove the suture knot.  You may, at this point,  also need a short course of antibiotics.  Keep in close contact with your surgeon for optimal care.  Once everything has healed then you may be a candidate for a scar revision. 

Scar after abdominoplasty

+1

It takes between 12 and 18 months for abdominoplasty scars to mature or fade and go pale as much as they are going to.

If the scar is unsatisfactory at the end of this time a revision usually improves things.

Douglas McManamny, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. It may just be a photographic artifact, but it seems to me like you have significantly more “fullness” on one side of your abdomen compared to the other;  if this is the case in reality, it will be best to be seen by your plastic surgeon to rule out fluid accumulation. He/she will also be in the best position to advise you about the redness around your umbilicus.

If in the longer term you are not pleased with the position of the higher segment of the tummy tuck scar, it can likely can be lowered for you.

Areas May Need Some Attention

+1

Thank you for your photographs.  You definitely need to visit with your PS.  The redness of your belly button may be okay if the surgery was a month or two ago.  If not then definitely see your PS.  The healed wound involving the incision will need a scar revision to decrease its width is several months.  You should be fine.  You have a nice result going thus far.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

Hello there 

Your scars look quite recent so you can expect a lot of changes as they settle in. It takes more than a year for scars to get to their best . 

Make sure you keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can keep an eye on the progress of your scars in case he/she feels that you need any further treatment. I think they are likely to settle in and turn out very well. 

All the best 

Terrence Scamp

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon