Could I Have Early Capsular Contraction? (photo)

I'm now 2 weeks post op, my left breast has always been more swollen, about day 10 I put weight on my left arm for about 2 seconds when sitting down and felt a tightness in that side of my chest, my breast had swelling and looked slightly more projected, when I went to bed I tightened my stabiliser and in the morning the swelling went away but some remained in between both breasts, tonight my breast did the same thing, pulled tight and swelled again, i am not aware I put any pressure on it

Capsular contracture cannot occur at two weeks after surgery.

+1

Capsular contracture requires a certain number of cellular events to occur. It is impossible for contracture to be present at two weeks.

Early Implant Complications

+1

It is unlikely that you have an early capsular contraction.  I recommend that you see your Plastic Surgeon for an exam as soon as possible.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+1

Have ou seen your chosen operative surgeon since surgery?? Appears as a fluid collection in the left breast. But over the internet and an out of focused posted photo are not the course to follow. You need immediate examination IN PERSON! 

Early implant complications

+1

Hi Kodybooby

It's highly unlikely that you have a capsular contracture this early, especially without other symptoms. It is much more likely that you have a small bleed or fluid collection around your implant. 

You could get an ultrasound, but even in 'normal' or 'routine' breast augmentation we would expect to see some fluid around the implants at this stage. However, comparing between the two sides and looking for solid clot might be useful.

Best to touch base with your Plastic Surgeon to get a physical examination and discuss your concerns with them.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Early Capsular contracture

+1

Thanks for the question

It is too early to say that there is an issue and time is what is needed. I do not think it is capsular conracture though at this stage more likely post operative swelling that should resolve.

The skin envelope is obviously tight and this may be the cause of the issue but with time it will loosen and the pressure will resolve. The key will be to stay i touch with yuor surgeon and follow their post opertative instructions.

I hope that puts yuor mind at a little ease

All the best

Jeremy Hunt  

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Could I Have Early Capsular Contraction?

+1

There are a number of possibilities, though capsular contracture is an unlikely one. Unfortunately, the photo is quite out of focus, so not to useful is separating out the possibilities. Nonetheless, whatever I thought it was, I would recommend a visit to your surgeon for evaluation. 

All the best. 

Seroma vs. Early Capsular Contracture

+1

In the first two weeks after Breast Augmentation, capsular contracture is unlikely to be the cause of swelling and unevenness of the breasts.  More likely, there was some residual bleeding around the implants after they were placed, or less likely this was caused by your movements after surgery.  An ultrasound examination of the breasts will determine if there is a seroma; if this is found, you may be more likely to develop a Capsular Contracture later.  The asymmetry may be the result of differential swelling due to more or less seroma fluid in your left vs. right breast, or it could be due to uneven implant placement.  You should return to your Plastic Surgeon for a follow-up.

Athleo Louis Cambre, MD