What Can Be Done to Correct Significant Early Scar Contracture Following my Revision Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I recently had revision rhynoplasty only 5 months following my initial rhynoplasty surgery. Within 1 week early scar contracture occurred and I now have a significant scar on the tip of my nose, above my right nostril. I now understand that this occurred because the revision surgery occurred too soon following the initial surgery. This is obviously very distressing for me. What can be done to correct this and I will I suffer other adverse consequences of having the revision surgery too soon?

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Something drastic happened to cause the scar, probable loss of cartillage too.

Best to wait atleast one year and woill probably need a revision. The revising surgeon needs to talk with the original surgeon and hav a copy of the operative note to see what is the reason for the deformity, to correctly plan for the repair.

Early Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Brooke,

Sorry to hear about that trouble you're having!  However, I doubt it's early scar contracture.  Likely you have a malpositioned cartilage or some thinning of the skin.  5 months after rhinoplasty is not necessarily too early for a revision - it really depends upon what the problem was. 

At this point you should try massaging your nose to push skin towards the indentation and break up any scar tissue that will form an exacerbate the problem. 

Then, get in to see someone who does alot of revision rhinoplasty so that this can be corrected.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Spiegel, MD

Chestnut Hill, MA

Jeffrey H. Spiegel, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

5 Months after Revision Rhinoplasty and Scar Contracture

+1

I am not sure how much of this has to do with contracting scar.  It would be helpful to post the preoperative pictures and several views of both preoperative and postoperative pictures.  There appears to be a good deal of irregularity in several areas. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA