Breast lift and Breast Implant, or breast lift and tissue expansion for tuberous breasts? (Photo)

Hi, I went to second plastic surgeon today & he suggested a Breast Lift and a small round breast implant (i think ending with a b cup or so). He did not think a tissue expansion was necessary as he thinks this is more used in cancer cases where there is already a broad breast wall, whilst mine is narrow & far apart. The first surgeon suggested a lift + tissue expansion. Now I am very torn and confused as to which is the best method to fix my tuberous breasts, Lift + Implant or Lift + Expansion?

Tuberous Breast and tissueexpanders

+2
Thanks for the querry.

I do not think that tissue exoander will be necessary, though I would need to confirm this on physical examination.

If your goal is a B cup, the lift will be key, and you may have enough volume of your own to avoid an implant

I know that will most likely make things more confusing so i apologise, but it does emphasize thatyour case is not simple, and that multiple approaches can be used to achieve your goal

All the best

Jeremy Hunt 

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of tuberous breasts

+2
  • I think your breast size and shape does not require a breast expander,
  • The first goal is to lift and re-shape your breasts.
  • The photo suggests you may already be a B cup.
  • An implant can be placed at the same time (there is a higher risk of infection and of a poor fit between the implant and newly shaped breast) or deferred.
  • Different opinions are confusing - it doesn't make one right or wrong,
  • but generally in surgery, where possible, keep it simple.
  • An expander, unless absolutely needed, makes like more complicated. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Tuberous breasts

+2
Tuberous breasts are dealt with in many different ways. You may want a lift first to see how they do, and then add an implants or it is possible to do them in one stage.

Tissue expansion for tuberous breasts?

+2
Tissue expansion IS used in tuberous breast corrections, not just in cancer cases. However, it is usually only needed in cases where breast development is really minimal. Most cases of tuberous breasts do very well with implants without expansion, combined with a lift. In 12 years of practice, I have only used tissue expansion in a couple of cases of tuberous breast, the rest all being implants and lift. From the limited view of your photo, it looks like you have plenty of breast tissue, with the characteristic constriction at the base. However, there is often more than one approach to a problem and it is reasonable to think that both your surgeons probably would produce an excellent result using either technique in their own way. Tissue expansion provides more tissue and ultimately more options in how to re-shape the breasts optimally, and that may be how your first surgeon is thinking.

Roy Ng, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Staged approach

+2
I would recommend starting with a mastopexy/small reduction to get a nice, lifted and better shaped breast mound. Then you can have an implant for augmentation 3-6 months later.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Severe tuberous breasts

+2
You have a severe form of tuberous breasts and that plus the wide gap in the middle makes for an exceptionally hard starting point. Only the very most experienced plastic surgeons should take on a case like yours.

An in person exam is essential but a full lift looks to be needed (more than the periareolar lift often used in tuberous cases). I'd suggest doing that and healing. Then, once 4-6 months have passed, an implant wide enough to get nearer to the middle will add volume and help to close the big gap. Good luck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

+1
I recommend a new technique called The Ultimate Breast LiftTM.This technique reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without the use of implants.This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.Tissue expanders are unnecessary using this new technique.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Best technique for correcting tuberous breasts

+1
Thank you very much for your enquiry and your photograph. It does look as if you have slightly low nipple position and a wide gap between your bust.

I think either technique of tissue expansion or breast implant combined with a breast uplift will suit your case but my personal preference would be not to use an expander as I do not think is necessary and involves a number of extra stages.

It might be worth having a look at our website, aurora-clinics.co.uk where you will find information about similar procedures we have performed with before and after photographs.

I hope that if you do decide to proceed with surgery you get the results you wish for.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast

+1
Thank you for the picture.

I don't think a breast expander will be necessary and do suggest a breast lift with moderate implants to reach the goal.

Dr, Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD

You need and Anchor mastopexy ($6060)

+1
Those are not true tuberous breasts. All you need is the maxi breast lift ($6060) and decide later if you want them bigger. I never do an implant at the same time as a lift because each operation interfers with the good healing of the other The only safe way is to do them separately.

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon