Will Botox Be Suitable for Me? I Am 24 Years Old with Forehead Lines and Don't Want to Look 'Frozen'.

I have had TMJ for years, chronic jaw clenching during the night. I noticed my forehead also feels very tight and sore when I wake up! I think I am clenching my forehead too. This may be why I may have so many fine horizontal forehead lines despite my efforts to stay out of the sun and wear SPF daily Will botox or dysport be best and how many units of each to correct the forehead. Also should the glabella be treated? (No lines here yet but it is tense)

+2

Botox can be very effective treatment not only for lines and wrinkles but also for tooth grinding, TMJ and migraine headache. Treatment of the forehead is variable but typically 10 units or less. You can choose to treat your glabella if the frown lines with animation bother you. A typical starting point is 20 units for the glabella but this is customized for the patients muscle activity and muscle bulk. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sound like you have a muscle tension issue: Face, jaw - TMJ, forehead. Botox is a great solution

+2
I think you can have benefit from Botox without getting a frozen look.  The application of Botox years ago led to frozen looks, but now less is being used and results look more natural.  Specifically for you, I'd inject massters (10-20u ea), temporalis (20-25u ea), glabella (25-35u), and forehead (8-12u).  Breaking the cycle of tension is needed.  The dosing could be increased from those recommended if results are what you want.  Steve Weiner, MD, Panama City Beach, Florida.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for TMJ, forehead muscles

+2

Age is not necessarily the main concern in when to start Botox, but more the natural anatomy and muscle strength in an individual. If you have very strong masseters, suffer from TMJ, and have strong forehead muscles, you are likely a good candidate for Botox. Not only can it help with your symptoms, but it can help soften lines that you may already have over time. As far as amount in units, it depends on the individual. I recommend you find a well established injector. Best of luck.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

+1

I think Botox will be a great benefit for you, injecting Botox to your glabella and masseter muscles with help relax the muscles from clenching and grinding but also prevent future fine lines and wrinkles. Find a medical provider in your area who has great injecting experience. 

Botox for TMJ and forehead lines.

+1

Botox should be able to help both of your problems and if you feel really tight in glabellar area would not hurt to do that too as it will help lift the brow some.  You should not be FROZEN if done conservatively. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox for horizontal forehead rhytids and bruxism

+1

Treatment of your masseter muscles with Botox is an effective way to treat your jaw clenching at night.  Botox is also the best option for improving the appearance of your horizontal forehead wrinkles.  It can certainly be injected in a way to preserve your facial movement and not look 'frozen'.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Read about microdroplet botulinum toxin method.

+1

This is a treatment method that I developed that just treats the eyebrow depressors along the eyebrow and leaves the forehead lifting muscles along.  You actually get a forehead lift effect without freezing the forehead.

Botox for forehead

+1

Botox may help you with the tension in your forehead and also treat the muscles that cause wrinkling but unfortunately does cause the forehead to 'freeze' and that is why it was pharmacologically developed - to cause muscle paralysis using this neurotoxin -

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox for the forehead

+1

Botox for the forehead can be a great treatment--in the right patient!  Botox and Dysport paralyze muscles, so this can result in a "frozen" look. One does not have to be aggressive and treat the entire forehead. In fact, I often just treat the superior forehead to leave some movement, but with this movement there will be some lines. It is a trade off.  Those with heavy eyelids should be treated by experienced injectors only. For the forehead, one often uses 20-25 units of Botox.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon