Rhinoplasty - I Seek Questions to Ask ENT Surgeon? (photo)

I just want to get rid of the bump that creates assymetry on my bridge. But what else will need to be done to 'harmonize' my nose, will they need to slim my nose's width and make the bulbous puffy nose smaller to balance it all out? Will my nose be a complicated procedure by looking at my photos? Thank you for your help.

Rhinoplasty - I Seek Questions to Ask ENT Surgeon?

+2

You can reduce the hump and narrow the nose.  The tip can be refined as well.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Best advise is for you to take the time to see a few boarded rhinoplasty surgeon IN PERSON! Over the internet we can not really advise to exact details of your needed operation. 

+1

Aesthetically speaking, from the photos provided, the bump can be rasped down and the nasal tip should be refined, or at least you should consider that as an option during the Rhinoplasty.  This seems an uncomplicated, if there is such a thing, Closed Rhinoplasty.  Certainly isn't a revision, complicated asymmetric cartilages etc. that make a more difficult case.  Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and hump on the bridge

+1

The asymmetries can certainly be addressed by shaving down the bump on the bridge line to give an excellent profile.  Osteotomies will narrow the width, while tip suturing techniques of the lower lateral cartilages  will make the bulbous tip less wide. Spreader grafts may also be required at the  the narrowest part of the mid vault, to prevent any further narrowing after the procedure. For examples, please see the link to  our rhinoplasty photo gallery below

Rhinoplasty options.

+1

Your concerns are quite appropriate. The prominences you see at the bridge are from where the nasal bones meet the upper lateral cartilages. One of the more common configurations of a dorsal hump is just that kind of shape. It's quite standard to fix those bumps by rasping them down during surgery along with removing the hump.

Creating better definition of the lateral supra-tip area (often via cephalic trim and/or "defatting") can help reduce the puffy appearance to the tip while still maintaining soft, natural curves. The last photo also suggests that slight upward rotation of the tip may also be ideal (and is commonly done as well)...not too upturned, but just a little bit shorter and more rotated.

While all rhinoplasties are complicated to a certain degree, the changes you're seeking to make are all quite basic problems in nasal surgery. Do your homework about your surgeon, though. Get a sense of his/her work with patient photos. And make sure your surgeon creates some realistic computer simulations to make certain you two are on the same page.

--DCP

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - Head and Neck Surgery & Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is a very common request from patients who do their research.  It is important to have maintain your nasal functionality (e.g. ability to breathe through the nose) while maintaining aesthetic harmony to the rest of your face.  The changes you desire are reasonable and appear achievable.  Of course, an adequate evaluation of the inside and outside of your nose is recommended to assess your underlying anatomy.  3-D computer imaging will also help you see what you may look like after your procedure.  Please consult with a board certified head and neck(e.g. ENT)/facial plastic surgeon who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD