Options for Feminizing a High Hairline (Transplants or Lowering Surgery) Female? (photo)

I have always disliked my hairline and recently I have been thinking about doing something about it. I could never really wear my hair up, tied back because I feel my forehead is just too masculine looking. Although I don't really mind a high forehead, it is the sides that bother me, high peaks either side of my forehead and this is ultimately what I would like to fix. With the hairline lowering surgery is it necessary to have balloon expanding in the scalp? What are the complications?

Reverse forehead lift with transplantation

+2

Your forehead is indeed quite high. As Dr. Kabaker has said you would most lilkely need expansion on the scalp for around 8 weeks followed by a reverse forehead lift to provide density in this region. Areas that are not completey corrected can then undergo micro-follicular transplantation to provide additional density. A visit with someone well versed in these techniques will be able to answer most if not all of your questions. Good luck to you!

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

High Hairline Correction

+2

Your hairline is exceptionally high.  He's been my experience with this type of hairline is a combination of 4 head reduction (at the time of a browlift) followed by here transplant is the best solution.  The hairline reduction can peek on the side when done properly.  It also reduces the amount of grafting necessary significantly.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

High hairline

+2

The ideal female hairline should be 5-6cm above the glabella and not have deep recessions as you have. It appears that your mid hairline is 9-10 cm. Unless you have an unusually flexible scalp, i would think you would need 4-8 weeks of expansion to get the kind of result I envision with the hairline lowering operation I frequently perform.No other technique can give as quick an dense results.   If you don't mind the general height of the hairline, follicular unit hair transplants (probably 2 sessions) to fill the corners might work for you. Complications with either approach are few. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

High forehead

+2

Lowering the hairline to normal feminine height (about 7 cm),is sometimes possible with hair transplant if the lowering is modest, because one needs a very thick hair density in the frontal hairline. If the scalp is mobile then the hairline can be lowered about 2-3 cm, however covering the male pattern baldness is going to be very difficult. That may be filled with hair transplant. If the forehead is not very mobile or the hairline advancement needed is very large more than 2 cm then a tissue expander is needed. Remember also that tissue expansion does decrease the hair density some, because of the nature of expansion. Also you will have a scar at the hair line.