Is a Breast Reduction Using Vertical Pattern and L Incision in Fold Good for my Breasts? (photo)

I have had a few different opinions here and I just wish there was once text book answer. Should it be a question of debate based on degree of sagging and lack of skin elasticity that I have? :) What I want to achieve is basically a smallish breast with not much sagging to hold up for at least a few years. I am thinking the anchor method may be best to be able to achieve that. The L shape vertical pattern is interesting however and the result of a short scar is an attractive option. Thank you!

Short scar breast reduction

+2

Based on your picture, some kind of short scar technique would probably work well as you don't have very large breasts or that much skin excess. I would be skeptical that you would meet insurance indications for a breast reduction however. The type of surgery you would be doing would be more consistent with a mastopexy (breast lift) as the volume of weight you'd likely remove would be be 1/2 of what a reduction would be

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction technique choices.

+2

Hi there,

To give you clear advice:

you have a really good shape for a reduction, you're slim with a normal breast base.  The breasts sit quite low on your frame. Any breast reduction technique will work well for your shape, and the result is very much surgeons expertise dependent, not so much the technique chosen.

a short scar vertical or L incision type will reduce the breast but won't lift it much.  An anchor pattern will allow the nipple to be placed higher, the breast lifted more and the breast to be made smaller if you desire that. In my practice I use both techniques, more commonly a short scar technique, but design the operation according to your needs. In you I would recommend the anchor approach I suspect.

all the very best,

howard webster

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Lift

+2

You have a number of options which will depend on your current anatomy.  Breast lift / reduction plastic surgery can improve the profile of sagging breasts, making breasts look more youthful and perky.Breast lift / reduction  surgery is done to improve the profile of sagging breasts, changing their position on the body to appear more youthful.  I've posted an ABC news videoclip for my preferred breast lift/reduction technique for you.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Lollipop scar for breast reduction is popular

+2

The vertical incision or lollipop scar is a very common method to perform a breast reduction.  Based on your photos, you would be an excellent candidate for this method.

There are many different methods of breast reduction, including the anchor scar. The choice depends on your desires, the amount of breast tissue to be removed, your current breast size and the experience and training of your plastic surgeon.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Avoid vertical scars

+1
The Ultimate Breast Reduction is a new technique that avoids the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions. The incisions are hidden around the areola and in the shadow of the breast. The breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. The breast can be reduced to the volume you desire and pain is relieved by transferring the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle. This technique maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed. Best Wishes, Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for your very interesting question and details, and submitting your photos.  As you said, this is not a straight-forward issue and a lot goes into plastic surgery, experience, aesthetics, etc.  Your short answer is that for what you are trying to achieve a full anchor is your best option.  Vertical, or L lift will usually leave you with lower pole fullness (pseudoptosis) which often times has to be corrected secondarily, with the final scars being the same as an anchor.  So, it is best to do the right thing from the start.  Just make sure you are under the care of an experienced plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who can show you sample photos of patients in your situation.  Hope this helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Breast lift techniques

+1

A breast lift/reduction can be performed using many different methods with a vertical, l or wise pattern( anchor).  It depends upon the patient anatomy and surgeon preference.