Borderline lift. What would you recommend? (photos)

I was told by a reputable cosmetic surgeon I was borderline lift. "you would benefit from a lift for best results but you are borderline and could still just have implants" Happy to go to a plastic surgeon for a lift if required but would prefer not to if i can. I am 5ft 7' 57kg bra 32C Measurement from the middle of my neck to centre of my nipple is 19.5cm and 20cm. What would you recommend and why. Being only 38yrs I am looking for a sustainable result.

Breast lift

+1
Thanks for sharing your images and story.
If you want to go "big" then you may get away with an augmentation only as it may fill out your existing breast envelope. But, this won't  give you a sustainable result in years to come.
If you want a more subtle and natural augmentation, then you definitely need the lift.

If you decide to go with the augmentation to see how it goes, then I would recommend sticking with the same surgeon as he/she will have consented you properly and the 2nd operation won't be as difficult.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Borderline lift. What would you recommend?

+1
Based on your photos, it seems that your are  a "borderline lift" patient.  Your areolar complexes are in reasonably good position which leads me to recommend breast augmentation.  Borderline cases must always be aware that a lift may become necessary, but if not absolutely indicated, I would lean toward a more conservative approach. There's far less scarring, and you won't be burning any bridges.

Richard L. Zeff, MD
Portsmouth Plastic Surgeon

Start with just the implant

+1
You can start with just the augmentation. The surgeon will need to place the implant in a high position with minimal muscle release to center the implant behind the nipple so that the nipples are not pointed north. If the slight sag of breast tissue bothers you afterward you would need an inverted T scar to improve the glandular ptosis.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question

+1
What you ask is a common problem. You want the best result, but don't want a lift if you don't need it.

Even with the best of intentions, an online forum will not provide you with a satisfactory answer. There are a number of factors that go into making the final decision about which option to choose. Some of these are based on measurements, and there are quite a few. Some of these are based on examination visually, some of these are based on discussion with you about what look you want to achieve, your likes, dislikes and expectations.

Larger implant option has advantages and disadvantages, and that's the same for going without the lift options. You need to be fully informed, so that you can make the right decision for you.

So, as you can see, this is a highly personalised process. If you are unsure, and wish to, you can seek another opinion. Considering the big decision you are making, the fee for a consultation is, in my opinion, worth it, to receive the information, assessment, expertise and discussion with your Plastic Surgeon.

I wish you well and hope this has been of value to you.

Mark Edinburg, MBBCH, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Borderline lift

+1
Judging by your photographs I would agree that you are in borderline need of a breast lift.  A larger implant may help prevent the need for a breast lift.  It is not a good idea however to choose a implant that is too big for you just to prevent a breast lift.  If the implant is too large it will put too much weight on your breast and very likely create the need for a lift at a later time.  Additionally you may not want to be that large.  Many times it is best to leave the final decision in the operating room up to your surgeon.  After a suitable implant has been placed the decision can be made whether or not you need a breast lift.  In the event that your surgeon decides not to do a breast lift at the same time as your augmentation and you decide later that you need it, your breast lift can be done at later time.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Borderline lift

+1
Hello and thanks for question and photos.

I would suggest implants only as your nipple looking at the photos is not that low that it requires to be lifted.

I would think if you just have implants this should fill your breast envelope adequately enough and also raise your nipple a little.

Unsure what size implant at this stage as I usually base this decision on measurements of your breast base. 

Hope this helps in your decision

Stephen Salerno.

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Do you need a lift or could an implant give you a C cup look?

+1
Thanks for your question!  Based on your photos, I think that if you choose a big enough implant, you could be very happy with just a breast augmentation.  When I have borderline patients, the majority of the time we choose to just do the implants first.  I advise my patients that if they want to come back for the lift eventually, they most certainly can; however, most choose not to.  Good luck! 

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Lift vs implants.

+1
We measure from the junction of your collar bones to the nipple. If it is greater than 21-22 cm I would seriously consider a lift. You are potentially borderline since your nipples do not point down. In my opinion-your most sustainable result will be a lift--and possibly an implant at a latter time--should you desire more volume..

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Breast augmentation can sometimes obviate the need for a breast lift.

+1
If you want to have larger breasts I think that a breast augmentation will satisfy the need for breast lift. This will avoid the incisions that accompany a mastopexy.