Do I need a standard or extended tummy tuck?

I have received mix reviews from 4 PS and have actually scheduled a date with one but am wondering if because of my huge hips I should ask him in my preop appt if an extended would be better for me to avoid the "dog ears" am I correct or does that come from something else?

+1

Tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks is probably a reasonable compromise that will produce a fantastic result.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Dog ears

+1

Hello: Yes an extended tummy tuck is needed when the loose skin extends beyond the hip bone area. If there is loose skin on the hips and around to the back the skin is not removed there is more chance of dog ears which is left over loose skin. You have to consider a longer scar but at least the abdomen and waist will be smooth and free of bumps and bludges.

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+1

Correct you are. Your resection should go as far back as possible, semi-circumferential for that matter. However, it is not going to reduce the width of your hips that much. That is a pelvic bone issue which you have to accept.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Style

+1

I agree with the other surgeons. An extended abdominoplasty will keep you out of trouble with dog ears and give improved accentuation to your natural curves. Combined liposuction also recommended.

Be well and good luck!

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

+1

Over the internet even with the posted photos very hard to determine. But my guess is I would coextend the incision bilaterally.//

Extended tummy tuck

+1

I agree that you would be a candidate for an extended tummy tuck but would also definitely need liposuction to your flanks. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Flank liposuction improves tummy tuck results

+1

You are blessed with a very narrow waist relative to your hip width - liposuction of the abdomen, waist and hips will deliver a nice cosmetic result.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

+1

The extension of the standard TT incision around the sides and onto the back is necessary when there is excessive skin in the flanks and back. Most commonly we see this in patients who have undergone massive weight loss and usually that extension is not necessary for good results in the standard patient requesting the surgery. Your photos do not give us enough information to make a judgement for you specifically.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Standard or Extended Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and for the photos. The choice between an extended and a standard tummy tuck (tt) depends on the amount of skin laxity. If there is extensive skin excess that extends over the hips, an extended tt may be necessary. If the excess skin is more limited, a standard tummy tuck may be necessary. Recognize that these procedures are really a spectrum, and that there is no distinct cut off between the two.

While not a substitute for an actual exam, your photos seem to indicate that you would be well treated with a standard tt. This should provide a nice improvement for your abdomen and help your clothes fit better. Of course, your plastic surgeon will make the final determination after he/she consults with you.

Best of luck with your belly.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

+1

In terms of addressing skin excess, a standard TT will be sufficient. In terms of addressing the fat in the flanks, adding either liposuction, or extending the TT all around the back might be worth discussing with your surgeon.

All the best.