Liposuction or Laser Assisted Liposuction? (photo)

I've decided on surgery to get rid of body fat in my abdomen, inner thighs, and back (bra roll). I've narrowed my surgery centers/doctors down to three, but I just want to choose the best option for me. Which option will remove the most fat and give me the best results for my body? Which is safest? What are the pros/cons of these two procedures?

Laser liposuction versus liposuction

+2

You've got it backwards.  The question you should be asking is who should be doing my surgery, not what machine should he use.  Like the rest of the general public, the multi-million dollar marketing/advertising campaign has you fooled into thinking that it's the latest and greatest machine with it's superior technology that will produce the best results, leaving the surgeon out of the equation.  This lures people towards that machine, and whoever owns one, preferably with the lowest price.

In reality, clinical studies consistently show over and over again that 'the machine' has no effect on the results, but instead it's the skill and experience of the surgeon that has the greatest effect on the results.  

Recheck who've you seen, and make sure that they are not only certified by the ABPS, but also are members of the ASAPS.  Any certification or society with the  word 'cosmetic' is not a board or society recognized as an academic institution.

Liposuction Methods

+1

From your picture, I would be concerned about both visceral fat and abdominal wall laxity, neither of which would be corrected by liposuction.   Having said that, if after exam, you were determined to be a good candidate for liposuction, the method of liposuction is not as important as the surgeon.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Laser vs. non laser assisted liposuction

+1

The best result will be achieved by choosing the best surgeon for you not the best liposuction modality. Either modality can yeild bad results and complications in the wrong hands. One modality does not necessarily automatically remove more fat than the other. The amount of fat removed is dependent on your surgeon. The pros and cons are basically the same for both with the addition that laser assisted can cause burns if used incorrectly.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Liposuction versus Laser Assisted Liposuction

+1

When you are considering liposuction, it is most important to go to a doctor with a lot of training and experience. There is little proof that any of the devices (laser etc) significantly improve the results over traditional tumescent liposuction. Also, with the laser devices, you will still need liposuction to achieve results. So be careful if someone is promising better results because they are using a laser. Look for a physician that has many years of experience, good before and after photos, patients that you can call, a good surgical team of nurses, an accredited surgery center, and a good name. Thats great that you have visited more than one surgeon. I always recommend that.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction vs laser lipo

+1

The ultimate result that you will have after liposuction of any type has less to do with which type of lipo (tumescent, laser, vaser, slimlipo, etc) and more to do with who is performing the liposuction.  All types of liposuction have risks of bruising, contour irregularities, and asymmetries.  Some types of lipo have higher risks of burns or numbness, etc.  However, I can't emphasize enough that the most important factor in your decision should be in choosing a qualified surgeon; the type of machine used makes little difference and has more to do with marketing.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs. laser assisted liposuction

+1

The most important things to know are the following:

Abdominal liposuction has the highest risk of ripples and wrinkles;

Laser liposuction is an INEXACT procedure that depends on heat to shrink skin.  Because it is impossible to control the exact amount of heat delivered under the skin there is significant risk of irregular contour, irregular scarring, and irregular pigment;

ALL liposuction works by creating tunnels through the fat.  Contour changes derive from collapse of the tunnels;

The best results are from the best and most experienced surgeons.  Choose a board certified plastic surgeon and be sure to see a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures.

BEWARE OF GIMMICKS.  BEWARE OF THE SURGEON WHO OWNS A BRAND NEW EXPENSIVE TOOL. BEWARE OF THE NON-PLASTIC SURGEON WITH A "COSMETIC SURGERY" SHINGLE. 

IF YOU ONLY HAVE A HAMMER YOU ARE TEMPTED TO USE IT ALL THE TIME, EVEN WHEN A SCREWDRIVER IS BETTER.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Types of Liposuction

+1

When it comes to the many forms of liposuction, I uniformly tell all patients to go with the type of liposuction that their PS is most comfortable with.  In my experience each of the forms of lipo can give you very good results and I have found all of them to be virtually equivalent.  

Good Luck

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or Laser Assisted Liposuction?

+1

I think first of all, you understand it is definitely not a question of what removes the most fat. It is always about getting the best results. Removing too much fat can create a deformity that may not be repairable. The type of equipment is not important, all the various types get basically the same results IF done by a skillful operator. Otherwise it is just advertising hype.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

No benefit of laser assisted liposuction over regular liposuction.

+1

I have used 2 types of laser assisted liposuction, ultrasonically assisted liposuction, and conventional liposuction.  I have done hundreds of cases and I cannot see any benefit of laser or ultrasonic liposuction over conventional.  If the skin is tightened, the results are very slight.