Botox Damage After Injecting in Brows?

When I smile the muscle directly above my brows lifts into an unnnatural/unusual arch, it looks like a swollen muscle. This was still happening to me 9 months post botox, the doctor added additional botox to 'calm it down', 2 months ago, but, it's still doing it. Now my eyelids are also swollen and my brows look like they are going down, not up, until I smile and it puffs up unnaturally. I look years older as a result. My eyelids are also uneven now. I'm so scared this damage could be permanent.

Problems After Botox Injections

+1

Without seeing you in person, it is difficult to assess. Fortunately, Botox is a temporary treatment, so these side effects are not likely to be permanent. It is fairly common for the muscles surrounding the muscle injected with Botox to become more active/prominent after injection. I suggest visiting a board-certified dermatologist who specializes in Botox to ensure more successful results.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Damage After Injecting in Brows?

+1

When either Botox, Dysport or Xeomin is injected into the muscles of the forehead, these muscle relax however the surrounding muscles can and do become more active.  On occasion, this makes those muscle appear more prominent.  The treatment is small doses of the neurotoxin to weaken those over-active muscles.  You can always let all the toxin wear off and then start over.

New lines and new problems after botox injections

+1

The description of your problem appears to be related to places that you have had injected.  It is not at all uncommon to see increased action in the brow elevator muscles after having botox for the vertical lines between the brows.  I think of it as a seesaw action  - the horizontal lines are the brow elevators and the vertical lines are the brow depressors.  Take away action from one set and not the other and the other set gains tone.  This commonly results in a couple of unattractive lines just above the lateral brow.  It is very easy to counteract this by giving SMALL doses into this area.  It sounds like the dose that was given into those lines was too much and now you subsequently have no elevator action in your forehead and feel like your brows have dropped.  The good news is that Botox is always temporary and these effects will wear off over time.  Since you seem to get very long duration of action (describing those brow lines as enduring for 9 months after your initial injection) I would recommend waiting 6-12 months before repeating any treatment.  Hopefully you can find someone who can figure out where exactly you need those injections.  I call patients like yourself a "tricky forehead" and it can take some time to figure out what is best for you and often it is the "less is better" approach.  Good luck to you 

Catherine Durboraw, MD
Idaho Falls Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox damage after injecting in brows

+1

Botox isn't permanent and will go away in about 3-4 months' time. Botox injections are absolutely an art so if you don't like what's happening I would recommend you see another top injector for an evaluation and assessment. Also, if you have pre and post photos we might be able to comment more specifically. But no, Botox results are not permanent.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD