Do Asians require a different type of eyelid surgery? (photo)

I have asian double eyelids, they have always hung low though the last couple of years it has been getting more noticeable. I've been told by most Asians, to go to a plastic surgeon who specializes in asian eyes, because they require a different type of stitch...cut.... ?then Caucasian eyes. Do I need to be concerned and are there doctors in Austin who specialize in Asian eyes?

Asian eyelid surgery specialists

+2
I do not know any specialists in Asian eyelid surgery in the state of Texas except for Dr. Sam Lam.  Being a native Texan myself I know that these specialists are few and far between.  Dr. Lam is located in the Dallas area and probably should be her first point of contact.  Do not assume that because a plastic surgeon is Asian they do the surgery frequently because many times that is not the case.

the general answered here question is yes you want someone who specializes an Asian eyelid surgery because the anatomy is different and the technique is different.  Not only is Asian eyelid anatomy unique to occasions but the anatomy from 1 Asian person to the next can vary significantly.  Each case I do is tailored or customized to some degree to that patient's anatomy and desired outcome.  the patient's desire ranges from very subtle natural changes to the more dramatic.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon
Asian facial plastic specialist

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's important to find a surgeon with experience in different types of Asian eyelid surgery and who knows Asian anatomy

+1
The Asian eyelid anatomy is very unique and has very distinct characteristics. Many years ago, when I began my career in the early 90s, I was very aware about the specific anatomic differences not only between Asians and non-Asians, but also between many different ethnic groups. This made me write an article years ago called “Ethnic Considerations in Eyelid Surgery” and I was also featured on Chinese World TV and World Journal. For a long period, I was focused a lot in doing revisional eyelid surgery for Asians because a lot of them had surgery where their incisions were too high or too low. There were also suture materials that would rub against the eyeball itself causing eye problems.

When I do an assessment of a person of Asian descent whether they’re Chinese, Japanese or Korean, I look at several different factors before I make a decision on the type of surgery they need. These factors include the skin quality and skin type, the presence of absence or extra skin, the presence of absence or fat, the anatomy of the epicanthal fold, the relative age of the patient and the other factors that have to do with the health of the eye.

From my perspective and experience, I feel that the desire for a double eyelid fold or a crease is based on a certain amount of flexibility that is intrinsic to the anatomy that nature allows. I’ve had many patients who came to me for revisional surgery whose incisions were way outside of the natural crease if they were born with the crease. If you look at yourself without the crease and even if you have age-related changes, then you could also understand what would be natural if you were born with an eyelid crease of a double fold. 50% of Asians have a crease and 50% do not. Culturally, there is a clear desire for a lot of people to have an eyelid crease based on fashion and entertainment. Certainly, it is considered desirable but it is also important to maintain a natural appearance.

You should find a doctor who has a lot of experience with different types of Asian eyelid surgeries in all age groups and knows different surgical techniques. Once you meet with a doctor that you are comfortable with, and you’ve looked at the before and after pictures and examples of different scenarios then certainly move forward and go ahead with the surgery. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon