How do my son's ears look? (photo)

My son was born with a lop ear. Our Ped advised us not to splint at birth and he's 18mo old now. The Ear Buddies website says that they can still work up to 2yo. We took him to a local ENT and he said splint success rate is only 40% now and that we should just get surgery at 5 if it bothers us. He thinks it looks fine though. Should I push back?

How do my son's ears look?

+1

You could try splinting. If it does not work, this can be surgically improved later if desired.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

How do my son's ears look?

+1

I would be surprised if splinting would change the projection of the upper pole of your son's ear at this age. However, if you want to go down that route, the only risk is that it won't work. It shouldn't make the projection any more prominent and shouldn't create any other issues. Otherwise, you're correct that your son will need to wait until he's a few years older before pursuing a surgical correction. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lop ears

+1

The original paper on correction of prominent ears by taping and splinting came from Japan, with good success. Even at 40% success that is worth it