Are My Implants Too Large for my Frame? (photo)

I Feel Like my Implants Might Be Too Large for my Frame. Im a 5'10 175 and 7 days post op My right breast feels tighter than my left and i have type 20 600cc Natrelle implants. Right now i Feel like my breast look Un Natural even though i am pretty tall and curvy will the shape of my breast settle? My right breast is also very tight and slightly higher than my right shoould i be worried about Capsular Contracture? Should i discuss this with my dr i feel a bit embarrassed

Are My Implants Too Large for my Frame?

+2

Well, it's a fair question - but not the right time!  At seven days post-op you need to do everything you can to help your body heal.  Hopefully, you had a discussion ahead of time as to what you looked like and what you wanted to achieve.  Remember, too big - like "Beauty" - is very much in the eye of the beholder.  Give your body a chance to heal, stay in touch with your plastic surgeon and if you're ultimately unhappy, you can consider a revision with smaller implants, although at that point you may need a lift, depending on how small you want to go.  My guess is that you'll be thrilled, and that you'll look back on your concerns and laugh!

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Unnatural breasts

+2

If you have a fair amount of breast tissue and want to be a DD or bigger than this is normal right after surgery.  Your right breast is bigger and higher right after surgery probably because you are using your right arm much more than the left and there is either more fluid or blood on the right breast.  If you wish to have soft breasts then you should not be active after surgery as the collection of blood may have an increased incidence of capsule contracture.  With time if all is healing well even DD can look natural as long as capsule contracture does not form.

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Implants Too Large for Frame at 1 Week Following Breast Augmentation

+2

Although you have large implants, 1 week after surgery is not a good time to determine if they are a good size or shape.  Give yourself time to recover.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast Implants Too Large for Me?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Difficult question to answer, given that ultimately YOU  will be the best judge of the “appropriateness” of the breast implant size  for your torso. At this point, 6 days after surgery, I would suggest that you try not to spend too much time evaluating the results of surgery.  You will be better off doing so 3 to 6 months from now. You should be aware that it is not unusual for patients ( early after surgery)  to be concerned about being “too big” or “too small”.

Therefore, my best advice would be to exercise patience,  continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon, and evaluate the end results of surgery several months from now.

Breast Implants Too Large?

+2

Shannon-

Thanks for your question.  It is still very early in the post operative period, so there is significant swelling.  You are a tall woman so once the swelling goes down and things settle you may be more pleased with the size.  It is way too early to make any judgements on the final size and shape.  It is always good to express your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  Open honest communication is the best way to relay your thoughts to the plastic surgeon so he or she can help reach your expectations.  In the end you may want to exchange for smaller implants, but I would give it 3-6 months before making that decision.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Wait 3-4 months before assessing results

+1
You should wait for about three to four months before assessing your results. At the moment, you probably have some swelling that will gradually subside. Also, your breasts haven't dropped and fluffed.

When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or sub-muscular (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This may make the shape and overall appearance of your breasts appear unnatural. As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast. This can happen faster in one breast than the other.

Although it's often called "dropping", it is more like "redistribution". The "fluffing" part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.  The rate at which they drop and fluff can also happen faster in one breast than the other, which is probably the situation for you.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Too early to judge size at one week post Augment

+1

Shannon,

hang in there. There is a lot of swelling and your breast tissue has not compressed. Inevitably one breast feels tighter and often riding "higher" than the other one. Often, but not always , it is the dominant side  (if this is below the muscle) since that muscle is often bigger and tighter. Your doctor may give you exercises to "favor" that breast. Wait for six months before you decide on the size. My guess is that they will become yours!

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Don't judge your post op result at 7 days

+1

A brest augmentation takes 3 to 6 months to settle.  So at 7 days it is too early to judge size and position.  it is perfectly fine to discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon.  They will be the most appropriate person to tell you where you are in your recovery and what findings are normal and abnormal.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Post op breast implants

+1

It is definitely not capsular contracture.  I think your breasts are pretty big and don't know what you looked like before.  However, give it some time.  As the skin and muscle loosen up and the implants drop, they will not seem so large.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Large breast implants

+1
Hi Shannon,
your implants do look large, however it is impossible to say what is implant, what is swelling, and what may be fluid collection.  That being said, 600 cc implant is a large implant on anyone.  Ideally you have discussed the size with your board certified plastic surgeon prior to the surgery and you actually tried a 600cc sizer implant to give you an idea of what to expect.  If you did and you were happy with what you saw in the mirror, then just be patient and wait for things to settle down.

Martin Jugenburg, MD
Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute.

Martin Jugenburg, MD