Ileostomy Revision and a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I have an ileostomy and it needs to be revised as it is flush with my skin and the hole is at the bottom. I have been losing weight (24 lb so far) my tummy skin is very loose. Note i have had 7 kids 3 by csection 4 natural (all before the ostomy) As i lose the weight pouching is becoming harder stoma is at my waist. can this be done at the same time. i do want to lose 15 lb more I am at 146 lb height is 5 1 small build thanks i am just in the beginning process but ..thanks Trixiemom

Ileostomy Revision and a Tummy Tuck

+2

This is really a tough call and would require consultation with both your plastic surgeon and your general surgeon. 

The tummy tuck would best be done when you are close to your goal weight. The downside of a combined procedure is the possibility  of major health threatening wound infection. Doing the ileostomy revision first makes sense, but may limit the amount of excess tissue that could be removed at the time of tummy tuck. Planning by both surgeons is essential. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Tummy tuck after ileostomy

+2

This is a difficult question, and it revolves around the following issue:  The fact that we can do something should we do it.

Yes a tummy tuck can be done after an ileostomy.

BUT

You are still losing weight. you should wait till you have stabilized your weight

Will you heal properly. You should have all your lab studies in line with the norm.

What is your underlying condition? is it stable? is there any possibility of you having another abdominal surgery in the forseable future?

What is the condition of the abdominal wall and the muscles?

Will you accept the additional scars and the increased chance of poor healing of the skin due to previous surgery and the new surgery beeing considered?

Will you accept an increased risk of infection and complications?

Will you agree to a more limited esthetic result by doing a smaller abdominoplasty and keeping the work below the umbilicus and the ileostomy?  

If all the above is yes than a carefull evaluation might result in a surgical consideration.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Complications will not be worth it

+1

Hello Trixie,

The chance of complications will be higher and the type of complications that can occur when combining the two procedures are fairly big.  I would recommend doing the ileostomy revision first with your general surgeon and plastic surgeon communicating about each of their intended goals.  You can then undergo a panniculectomy where the overhang is removed.  Undergoing a full tummy tuck with an ileostomy present seems like an unnecessary risk.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Ileostomy revision and an abdominoplasty not a good idea

+1

Timing and planning of multiple surgical procedures is a common question and patient concern.  Combining an abdominoplasty with an ileostomy revision is not a good idea.  There is a high risk of infection with this combination. 

Ileostomy and tummy tuck

+1

I would be careful about combining those procedures as doing a tummy tuck opens a large abdominal wall space that can become infected. I am not sure that the risk is worth the benefit. Proceed cautiously.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon