Ideal Stitches Removal Time?

Recently I met an accident and got hurt on my face. I have 5 stitches above my eye and 3 below. Doctor says he will remove them after 10 days. But I fear keeping them for such a long time would leave a permanent scar. What should I do? Is there any way to prevent scarring? Seriously, I don't want to make my face look ugly with those railroad marks. My age is 19.

Suture removal timing

+1

The ideal time to remove sutures depends on the tension on the wound, the location of the sutures, and the type of sutures.  I would defer this decision to the expertise of your surgeon. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

What is the ideal time to remove sutures from the face?

+1

Facial sutures are typically removed at 7 days or sooner. The risk, as you correctly suggested, is "track" marks created by the sutures if left in longer than 7 days. I would address your question to your surgeon. There might be some specific reason why your surgeon recommended leaving your sutures in longer than 7 days that we are not privy to. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal time to remove stitches

+1

What is the ideal time to remove stitches? Answer: that all depends on several factors:  Location -- face -- usually 5-7 days. Hands-- 7-14 days. Other areas-- 7-21 days. 

Amount of skin tension, smoking, patient age, use of catabolic steroids, poor medical condition, infection, previous radiation all determine how long sutures stay in place

James Motlagh, MD
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Timing of suture removal

+1

The timing of suture removal depends on several things, including the area where the suture is placed, the amount of tension on the wound and the type of suture that is used.  Usually, on the face, most sutures can be removed after about 5-7 days.  It's difficult to comment on your specific case without knowing more details about the nature of your wound and how it was repaired.  You should speak with your doctor to discuss any possibility of removing them sooner.  It can take several months and up to a year to see the final of your repair.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon