Can I Get by with Just Implants For Augmentation? (photo)

i really dont want a lift only implants. i am planning on saline i just prefer that and spoke with one doctor and they said if i have enough tissue still than they could put it under that i guess. i just want other insight.i have had four children and i got pregnancy help deflate them :(

Minimal Scar

+1
This is a common question as we all want to minimize the incisions and scars if at all possible. There are several types of lifts that can be used to treat the specific needs of each patient.

In your particular case you could do what I s called a periareolar mastopexy augmentation. This is where the scars from the lift are limited to just around the areola. This type of lift in combination with an implant can give the correct patient a very attractive breast with minimal scarring.

I would make sure that you spend some time with your plastic surgeon going over sizes and your aesthetic desires. You should also consider taking him or her pictures to make sure that you are both on the same page about the results you are hoping to achieve.

I would also discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon that performs the periareolar mastopexy augmentation procedure frequently.

Need a breast lift and augmentation

+1

For you to get the proper result you will need at a minimum a vertical mastopexy with a implant size wide enough to cover your breast base diameter.  You appear to have a relatively wide breast and will need an implant with a base diameter in teh 14.5 to 15 cm range irreguardless of volume.  Women with a broad chest will literally

eat an implant alive so a 600 cc implant while large on some women may be appropriate for your size and anatomic features.

Implants only without a lift may be temporary fix

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos. If you get saline implants only then it may look good for a short while but the saline implants will likely drop into the extra skin that you have leading to saggy rippling implants. For the best long term result, based on your photos, a lift would be necessary.  Scars fade in time and it is a long lasting good breast shape that you desire.  I know that this is not what you want to hear but I hope that it helps. To be sure, see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. 

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Get by using just implants

+1

If you were my patient, I would strongly encourage a mastopexy (breast lift).  The rule that I use is, where does the nipple sit? If it's above the fold or possibly just at the fold, then sometimes one can get away with just using implants.  However, your nipples sit significantly below the fold of the breasts.  Theoretically, you can just put implants in but I don't think you will be happy with the result.  The downside of the mastopexy is of course the scars.  Having said that though, a mastopexy will bring you round, perky breasts.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Breast Augmentation - Can I Get by with Just Implants For Augmentation?

+1

Can you get by?  Yes.  Will you be happy?  Probably not.

Nobody WANTS a breast lift with implants (why would someone want the additional scarring and risks?).  Unfortunately, though, some people just need that procedure and, based on the photos you've posted, my guess is that that describes you.  Implants just enlarge your existing tissue and, furthermore, the larger they are the more the contribute ultimately to more sagging (gravity!).  So putting large implants in someone who already really needs a lift - without doing the lift - is likely, in my opinion, to provide, at best, a short-term benefit.

I think you're going to need a lift with implants to get what you want.  Whether or not you're willing and able to have that done (financially, risks, etc) is something you'll need to decide based on your reading, research (my book is now available as an ebook) and consultations with surgeons.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation together with breast lift

+1

In your posted photo your nipples point downward with your arms raised. I suspect they would be even more vertically oriented downward if your arms were not raised. They will never point straightforward without a lift so just putting in breast implants does not make good sense to me. The issues of saline vs. silicone and under vs. over the muscle are better broached with your surgeon face to face than online with surgeons who have never and will never see you.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast lift needed in addition to a breast augmentation

+1

Your photos clearly show drooping of your breasts which implants alone will not address. If you want larger breasts that look good, then a breast lift (mastopexy) in addition to a breast augmentation is mandatory.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

With or without lift

+1

It really depends upon what you mean when you say get by. If a larger drooping breast is acceptable (getting by) then impants alone will deliver that. If you also want improved position, then a breast lift is mandatory which will give a better cosmetic outcome

Michael Hueneke, MD

Just implants without a lift

+1

I agree with the majority that a lift (mastopexy) is needed. In this situation I would recommend a mastopexy alone. The nipple position is too low relative to the breast and inframammary crease for an augmentation alone and it is off-axis (off to the side). The breast itself has good size, shape, and reasonable upper pole fill. This is an ideal situation for an improvement with a true breast lift via a vertical (lollipop) incision that would include moving the nipple-areeolas more into the center of the breast. If desired, an implant could be added as a separate procedure later on. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implants only not mastopexy

+1

My recommendation is augmentation masopexy - implants plus a breast lift.  Your nipples are at or slightly below the inframammary fold if you place an implant below or above the muscle is will look like a "ball in a sock." The other option is breast lift alone.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon