Augmentation with or Without a Lift? (photo)

I have seen two different MD's regarding breast augmentation with a possible lift. One MD told me I needed a lift (anchor) and the other told me implants should give me enough lift and I wont need an actual lift, however if I wanted higher nipple placement he would do a lollipop lift with the implants. Scarring really concerns me, and if I can get away without any lift that is the route I prefer. However, I do not want huge droopy boobs. He measured me at 25 and 25.5. What do you suggest?

Breast Lift Or Not

+2

Run far and fast from the doctor that said no lift necessary. In addition, you are not a good candidate whatsoever for a periareolar/circumareolar/benelli lift.  You will need a formal type of breast lift to achieve any meaningful result that will allow your breasts to look pretty.  If you can't come to terms with scars, regardless of how inconspicuous they might look, you shouldn't do the surgery.  It is really unlikely you will like the appearance of your breasts without a lift. 

Lift? Absolutely

+1
With your anatomy, a formal breast lift 100% will be necessary to avoid a weird shape. I would ask the other surgeon to show photos of prior patients who he/she felt looked like you and only had implants. I have patients ask me this. I would never just do implants here. 

Aaron D. Gorin, MD

Augmentation mastopexy

+1

Augmentation mastopexy is designed to correct the two most common changes that occur in breast appearance following pregnancy: loss of breast volume, and stretching out of breast skin. While there are some moms who can get an acceptable cosmetic result from augmentation alone or from mastopexy alone, many moms have a combination of breast volume loss and skin excess that requires simultaneous augmentation and mastopexy (breast lift). I frequently perform this surgery in concert with an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and this combined breast and tummy rejuvenation surgery is sometimes referred to as a 'mommy makeover'.

Augmentation mastopexy is also commonly performed for major weight loss patients, including those who have had bariatric surgery including gastric banding and gastric bypass. Obesity followed by major weight loss usually produces breast changes that are very similar to those seen after successive pregnancies, and often the effect on breast skin is quite severe. Additionally, as a North Carolina breast implants surgeon, I regularly see patients with significant breast ptosis (the medical term for 'droopiness', pronounced TOE-sis) in young adulthood, without any history of pregnancy or major weight loss. Some breasts are just naturally droopy, and I have performed mastopexy and augmentation mastopexy for patients as young as 21 years.

This surgery is a potentially challenging one which requires thoughtful preoperative evaluation and planning, and careful attention to detail in the operating room. Many surgeons have traditionally performed breast augmentation and mastopexy surgery in stages, usually mastopexy first followed by augmentation at a later date. In the recent past more and more surgeons have adopted a non-staged, single surgery approach to augmentation and mastopexy, and that is what I propose for the vast majority of patients who I see in consultation that need both procedures. I believe that the results of simultaneous augmentation mastopexy are as good or better than a staged approach in most cases, and of course patients quite naturally prefer a single trip to the operating room if at all possible.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation With Or Without A Lift?

+1

Dear Melissa,

Thank you for sharing your photos.

It looks like you have droopy breasts that will not be corrected by implants alone. If your aim is to achieve perky large breasts, then a lift will be necessary as well as the scar along with it.

However, the lest noticeable lift scar will be the one from the Benelli (circumareolar) lift that will be result of an incision around the areola. The results of the Benelli lift are limited.

Another type of lifts is the Lollipop lift where you will have a scar extending from the bottom of your areola to reach your inframammary fold but with a higher lift.

I encourage you to seek a consultation with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience who can help you make a well informed decision.

Thank you and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation and Lift

+1

Hello and thanks for the question.

Your photos would indicate that you have involutional ptosis.  If your desire is to have bigger breasts that aren't "droopy ", I agree with my colleagues:  You will need a breast augmentation with lift - The lift technique to give you optimal results will likely be something a little more involved than a Benelli breast lift, and more likely a vertical mastopexy.  I recommend consulting with no less than 3 plastic surgeons  - and I wouldn't be too concerned with scarring - the correct procedure should afford you excellent results in trade for scars which, in time, should be quite acceptable.  

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

A breast lift with implants is likely your best option

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

A breast lift with implants is likely your best option. Implants alone do not lift breasts. Breast implants restore lost volume but do not provide lift.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Peri-areolar lift and implants

+1

Yes, you are an excellent candidate for a more extensive lift that may result in bad scars in a certain percentage of cases. My recommendation though would be a "mini" lift above the areola through which I put the implant in. It may not be perfect but in most of my patients cases, very acceptable.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift, Breast Augmentation

+1

In my opinion, a breast lift is needed.  Thiswill give you more fullness in the upper pole (part) of your breast and control the position of the nipple. The addition of implants will give you an increase in breast volume if that is your goal.  Be aware that the combination of breast lift and breast augmentation significantly increases the chances for complication.  You need to find a surgeon who is well versed in combining the two procedures. 

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

In  my opinion you definitely need a lift along with the implants.  Your breasts are too droopy to get by with an implant alone. If you go this route, you will simply not get a nice result.  It is really important in your case to choose a surgeon who is experienced with doing lifts with implants, since it can be a tricky procedure to do well. Check out their results as well as the scars involved so you know what to expect.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Augmentation with or Without a Lift

+1

Based on your stated goals and the photographs, you would benefit from a breast lift. An in person consultation and exam will verify the type of breast lift recommended. However, the probability is that you will need a full breast lift.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS