Augmentation Size - What Will Work For Me?

I am 5 ft 3, weight 105 pounds and am currently a B cup size. My surgeon has reccommended 200 cc implants which he says will take me to a C/D cup size. I have read that roughly 175-200 CC is equal to 1 cup size, and have seen many before and after pictures, where at least 300cc is needed to take someone from a B cup size to a C cup size. I understand that everyone is different shapes, but will 200cc make much difference. I am also having a breast lift.

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Despite your good description of your body type and goals, online consultants will not be of specific enough help to you. Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural”  or  “C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging technology may also be very helpful during this communication process.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

What size implants should you choose?

+1

It is difficult to say if this size will take you from a B cup to a full C cup.  First of all, bra makers are very different and a C cup at Macy's is different than a C cup at Victoria's Secret.  Also, cup sizes are different depending on what size around you are - a 40 C is bigger than a 32 C.  So 200 cc may be what you need even though you are looking at pictures where other women used bigger implants.

There are a couple ways to figure out what implants look right for you - trying them on in the office, using rice in ziplock bags in your bra, or 3-D imaging to simulate your breasts with different size implants.  Good luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizes are best decided while trying them on.

+1

Implant sizes are best decided while trying them on.   You can do this at your consultation.  You have to see which you feel most comfortable with.  It is hard to tell over the internet without photos.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Breast Augmentation - How big will implant make me ?

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer with any accuracy without having the benefit of examining you first hand, especially since you are undergoing a concomitant breast lift. In itself, a breast lift, if substantial, will make your breasts appear smaller just by virtue of the fact that excess skin is being excised and the breast mound is reshaped to provide a more youthful appearance. The ideal implant size for your body will be definitively determined by several factors, including and notably dimensions of your chest and quality of your soft-tissue. The ideal implant size will best be determined following your surgeon's evaluation of you followed by a thorough discussion of your desired surgical outcome. 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Web reference: http://www.BeverlyHillsCosmeticSurgeon.com

Augmentation size - what will work for you

+1

You must try on implants of various sizes in front of the mirror to see what looks good to you. Your surgeon will help you out with this.

Do not try to choose a size based on pictures or experiences of other people.

An implant of a given size looks different on every individual.

Good luck!

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices

+1

Difficult to tell you what implant is right for you without an exam.  But you are right in general,  300 range may be better for you.

How to pick breast implants.

+1

How to pick breast implant sizes
Article by George J. Beraka, MD

1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

Sizing for Augmentation

+1

I feel that you are the best person to determine the right size implant for you.  For many years I have had patients "try on implants" with my input.  Although it is not scientific, this methos has resulted in a very small number of exchanges for a different size over the years.

Choosing breast implants

+1

You can't choose an implant by a desired cup size or just by volume of the implant.  You need an experienced surgeon who has done this for many years who will listen to what "look" you want and help choose the implant to get close.  A 200 won't make you a D however.

Breast Augmentation - What size is right for me?

+1

This is the most importnt question that a patient interest in Breast Augmentation should ask.  In two large series, the reoperation rate for size was almost 25%.  How do I help women choose their size?  First I try to understand their goals and what size they want to be after surgery.  Then I make apprpriate measurements and particularly measure what your chest circumferential measurement is.  If it is 32 inches, we put on a soft 32 bra and use implant sizers in a bra to look and see what additional volume woould relatively look like on you.  I use this as an educational process.  It give me an idea what the person thinks a "c" is.  I take a photo of the appearance of what the goal is, then in the operating room, I use intraoperative sizers to see what size implant it takes to get that look.

Good Luck

Richard J. Greco, MD

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.